Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 45gal tank freshwater media has been matured for 2 years till I planted too many osmocote root tabs like 45 tabs under the gravel and now it causes ammonia spikes like 1.0ppm. I was doing 90% WC with seachem prime and still at 1.0ppm. How long for ammonia be back to normal?

the tank has"
the tank has:
6 amazon swords
3 anubias nana
1 anubias barteri
1 moses balls
1 java moss
4 java fern
1 Echinodorus 'Hadi Red Pearl'

about 20 tropical community fishes
8 ghost shrimps and 5 cherry shrimps
3 african dwarf frogs

they seems ok, not see any of them suffer.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
First I would use the seachem multi test ammonia kit to see if the ammonia is the dangerous free ammonia or the safe(r) locked ammonia.

And only use Prime to treat the free ammonia.

If the livestock seems OK it is probably all the locked ammonia and Prime will do nothing but reduce oxygen and increasing sulfates possibly suffocating the livestock.

Of course try to remove the root tabs.

Hopefully the plants will eventually catch up with the ammonia from the root tabs and things will return to normal.

And thanks for posting. You have provided my another datum on why I don't use ferts of any kind.

My .02

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First I would use the seachem multi test ammonia kit to see if the ammonia is the dangerous free ammonia or the safe(r) locked ammonia.

And only use Prime to treat the free ammonia.

If the livestock seems OK it is probably all the locked ammonia and Prime will do nothing but reduce oxygen and increasing sulfates possibly suffocating the livestock.

Of course try to remove the root tabs.

Hopefully the plants will eventually catch up with the ammonia from the root tabs and things will return to normal.

And thanks for posting. You have provided my another datum on why I don't use ferts of any kind.

My .02
The tank is finally back to normal as ammonia at 0ppm and Nitrate always stays at 5ppm or less. All fishes seems doing ok now. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
why are you doing a 90% change?

that much water should only ever be changed if you have sick fish, or your trying to breed

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The tank is finally back to normal as ammonia at 0ppm and Nitrate always stays at 5ppm or less. All fishes seems doing ok now. Thank you. :)

glad to hear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts