Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just found this place and i am just building my first aquarium for my daughter to enjoy. She loves all kinds of animals.

I am more into the automotive rebuilding world of muscle cars as i am working on a 1967 Dodge dart.

I am building a 50 gallon tank and i want to plant live plants for myself and add some fish for her to watch. I am a single full time dad and also work full time to pay lawyers, so i have to watch every penny I have.

The current project of the aquarium is to build an undergravel filter using pvc pipe. I also want to add areas in the bottom where i can plant in dirt on the back. I will have to draw up a blueprint for a better idea.

I already built a 25 gallon tank then decided it was too small :shock: and i also came up with a better design so i plan to sell that at some point.

I had lots of free 6mm glass and a very good solid box (out of an old store) the first tank i only had about 20 bucks invested. So i figure i can do the same thing with the bigger one.

eventually when i stock the tank i am thinking this is what i will put in it over a period of months.
3 gold gourami
8 zebra danios
5 black phantom tetra
5 bleeding heart tetra
5 tiger barbs
3 polka dot loach
4 cory catfish
Figure these are fairly cheap fish and my daughter liked the look of them. Will all these fish work together? is it a good clean up grew for these top feeders?
which ones should i start with? what plants should i start with? was thinking of the amazon sword and then was not sure after that. All these fish are stocked at petsmart but i wanted to check a few other family run petstores to see what else they had.
I still have to cycle the tank but i have not found ammonia yet to start that.

yep lots of questions on the first post ... hope it does not scare people away:lol:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.