Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this whole canister filter thing and personally it's been such a horrid experience I hate them. I was given a used Eheim professional 2 that had only been used for a few months. I was given no instructions and have basically just gone off what I've found on the Internet. I've had one good clean without the thing leaking since november and every since the beginning of January it's been leaking very time. I've cleaned it twice and today will be the third time. I've lined up the tube for the intake line so the water flows freely to the bottom, and I have all my seals on each layer. I'll plug it in and it flows fine, but then a few hours later, or even a day later I'll get up in the morning and it will have overflowed. It seems like the slots on each side where you can grab it with the lid on, are filling up with water and that's what's flowing over. I don't understand why it's doing this.
I alalso have three pieces that connect to the outake hose (the part that the water comes out of) and I took one of those pieces off because I noticed that the current wasn't strong enough to stir up the bottom of the tank to move the waste to the filter (I have white sand). So with a shorter end piece I did get a stronger current, but I also added a small filter for a 10 gallon that sticks to the corner just to get a bit more current/oxygen. I have a 60 gallon long tank, my first one, so any sort of advice is welcomed :lol:

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Something similar happened to me once on my Rena XP3 and it turned out that I didn't re-seat the impeller properly after cleaning. It might be worth a try to see if that is your issue.

Have you tried calling their help line? Or looked online at their site under troubleshooting?

You have a great brand name filter, hopefully you will love it when you figure out what's causing the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just took it apart and cleaned it all, and I think it's my check valve but now it's literally just draining my tank, and I have no idea what to do. I'll check out their help line for sure though :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts