Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost three bettas in a row. One lived for two weeks, one lived for two days, and one lived for less than twelve hours. I have also tried to cycle my tank using a fishless cycle and bottled ammonia. I have changed from water sources from my well water with .25 ammonia and between 20 and 40 nitrates to bottled water with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. The water from both sources has very low alkalinity, but every time I test my pH, it is around 7.4. I recently tried to cycle my tank with two guppies. I brought the guppies home on 08-28-14 (Thursday). They were fine and swimming around. By Saturday morning, the top half of one of the guppies tail fin's was blackish grey. Six hours later, the whole tail was blackish grey and tattered looking. He couldn't move it very well. Within the next 7 hours, he had died. It was less than 24 hours, after the symptoms started until he passed away. The second guppy was half black, half white. His tail did not ever appear to look any different and he could use it just fine, but he stopped eating and swimming around as much. On Sunday morning, I noticed he was producing yellow stringy poop. After that though, he started swimming around more and playing. He seemed to be acting like his usual self. I did not feed him that day. I thought he had just been constipated. (He did not appear bloated though.) By the next morning, he was dead. Does anyone have any thoughts about the death of the newly acquired guppies? Water parameters were:

Ammonia: really close to 0, but not quite
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
pH: 7.4
Temperature: 78

Here is a picture of the of them when they came home and one of the orange one after his whole tail had been affected.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. It was the Ace Hardware brand Janitorial strength. It did not foam when I shook it. That was the brand that multiple people have suggested on multiple sites. My tank just isn't cycling (with or without fish) and I cannot explain the sudden death of the orange and white guppy. The black color spread fast and he was dead within 24 hours of the onset of the symptoms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts