Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY! I’m kind of a new fish keeper I guess. And even though I’m a child (11-14) I want to provide my betta a good home. So, I have some questions. Is 5 gallons or 6 gallons good size for a tank? Would sand or white pebbles I think ita called, good for the bottom of the tank? I know I should put live plants, and possibly floating plants - so can you guys recommend me some plants. ALSO, can I put snails or moss balls in the tank? And finally, do I put wood in the tank or like leaves. That’s all, thanks! :]

·
Registered
14 Posts
5 or 6 gallons is okay for a betta. Either gravel or sand should be fine, though depending on the live plants you get, you might have to add a root tab. I recommend Java moss, Java ferns, and Amazon sword. Floating plants are good for bettas as well. Moss balls are great. Driftwood and almond leaves are also great things to add to your tank. For a five gallon, I recommend a single nerite snail. They don’t reproduce and you don’t have to supplement them with anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 or 6 gallons is okay for a betta. Either gravel or sand should be fine, though depending on the live plants you get, you might have to add a root tab. I recommend Java moss, Java ferns, and Amazon sword. Floating plants are good for bettas as well. Moss balls are great. Driftwood and almond leaves are also great things to add to your tank. For a five gallon, I recommend a single nerite snail. They don’t reproduce and you don’t have to supplement them with anything.
Thank you!

·
Banned
Tropical Fish
54 Posts
Nice that your getting a betta fish good for you I have one myself. I would recommend 5 gal if its by itself and 6 gal if you want the snail. Like Lmg01 said only get one if you don't wan them to breed and overpopulate the tank like crazy. I recommend getting nutrient rich substrate if you want live plants but they aren't needed especially since this is just a starter betta fish tank. Keep in mind betta fish with longer tails will tend to have some dorsal fin problems when they get older especially with sharp decor scraping against them so I would personally recommend getting a short finned male betta or a female betta fish although I haven't had any issues with this myself yet and I have some reasonably rough decor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
5 to 6 gallons is the perfect size but I wouldn't go any smaller. Betta fish are kind of sensitive to decorations but the gravel/sand doesn't really affect them (unless they have swim bladder disorder, they will spend most of their time up at the top). Betta fish are fine with moss balls and snails, although occasionally they will nip at the snail. Give the snail some good hiding spots and it should be fine. I would recommend either nerite snails, trumpet snails, or aquatic mystery snails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts