Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a Dalmatian Molly thinking she was pregnant and I swear she looks smaller today than yesterday. She hasn’t had any fry though. I think she was stressed because the other two female mollies wouldn’t leave her alone and one was nipping at her. I moved her to the little breeding tank for a while, but that seemed to stress her out too. Now the mollies are leaving her alone for the most part and aren’t nipping at her. The water is good because we had it tested yesterday. Is she still pregnant or did something go wrong?
thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don’t put her in a tank that’s too small. The stress can cause miscarriage and even death of the mother. What she wants is plant thickets to hide in, for the safety of both her and the fry. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t put her in a tank that’s too small. The stress can cause miscarriage and even death of the mother. What she wants is plant thickets to hide in, for the safety of both her and the fry. :)
She’s in a 29 gallon tank and lots of plants on the other side (not
Do you think she’s pregnant? I have her in a 29gallon tank and I have 1/4 of the other side with plants on the bottom and floating on top.then a couple going along the back of the tank. They are fake plants. If you think she is pregnant, is she due any day or still has a week or more?
Thanks for the advice. She seemed a lot less stressed today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes. Livebearers are always gravid (the fish equivalent of pregnancy). They store sperm so a few minutes after giving birth they’re gravid again.

·
Registered
Tropical Fish
16 Posts
Actually it does. It has happened to me and my guppies several times. They were going to have babies but I put them into to small of a fish breeder they got stressed out and then they absorbed the babies. It happens to a lot of animals especially when they are in the early stages of developing young. You can find that in nearly any fish book or website they will probably explain the process and go into a more detailed explanation of why it happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts