Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Hydra problem

Tags
hydra
1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Flear 
#1 ·
not in the main tank, but a small bucket i loaded with nutrients and some algae to start farming it for flagfish

been there a couple weeks since i started it up
just looked today and saw hydra everywhere

haven't put any of the algae in the main tank, so no worries about contaminating the main tank

but ...

what do i do about the bucket ?, how do you get rid of hydra ?
best i am familiar nothing eats them due to their poisonous stingy tentacles (sounds like saltwater sea anemones don't they :) i could be wrong that nothing eats them, ... but still, hydra everywhere in that bucket :(

i'm sure this question has been asked dozens of times on forums all over, but i'm asking again here.

#3 ·
after some searching have come across info suggesting goramis (mentioning the three-spot gorami as one that loves hydras - 6" adult :(

and one mention of pond snails (yay i have pond snails :)

if this is true, the pond snails aren't at a population in the bucket to help, and the hydra population is enough to take the pond snails some time to make a dent in the hydra population.

if not true, ... well i guess i'll find out if this natural method works :)

#5 ·
hmmm, ... well my 'algae farm' isn't touching the tank till i can deal with these hydras :(

i'm hesitant about the copper treatment, but worst case scenario it's easy to clean, sterilize, and start over if nothing works. not a fish tank :), just for growing algae

#7 ·
i did nothing to set the bucket up other than throw in a bunch of dead/crushed plants and some fertilzers

the algae is ... growing very slowly, ... yes as slow as it's growing starting over would take even longer, ... that and i have no idea where the hydra came from.

i could guess the main tank (where i got the source algae from) but there are no hydras there that i can see (not that i can see anyway) there was in the past on a clam i noticed but haven't seen any since, ... after that i have only guesses and nothing to back it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.