Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Hugely bloated tetra--euthanize?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  KPainter 
#1 ·
Hi, all. One of my tetras today is massively bloated--literally spherical. Here's a pic, though I realize the quality is poor.

I can't imagine it can recover from this, whatever it is, though I'm happy to be told I'm wrong. Should I euthanize the poor thing?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would for sure, but that's just me.

#6 ·
Are you sure it's not egg laden or constipated? Anyway, u can quarantine for a bit...or does he/she seem completely listless and/or distressed? It does look rather bad...but hate to euthanize and not be sure.... Sorry for the flip flop messages...and for the possible loss....

#7 ·
To update: A friend convinced me to try the pea trick with this tetra: thawing out frozen peas, smashing them, and feeding them to the whole tank so that it would eat some. I was absolutely convinced there was no way it would work, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. By the next day, the tetra was half the size it had been, and by the day after I couldn't even tell which tetra had been affected.

I'm astounded, honestly. I thought the poor thing was a goner.

#12 ·
That's amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.