Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. One of my tetras today is massively bloated--literally spherical. Here's a pic, though I realize the quality is poor.

I can't imagine it can recover from this, whatever it is, though I'm happy to be told I'm wrong. Should I euthanize the poor thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I would for sure, but that's just me.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Ugh! I think you have to :( Sorry.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Terrible, but I agree... Not to be cold, but maybe want to see if it's parasitic postmortem too... Hopefully none of the others are showing anything similar... Was he a new addition?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you sure it's not egg laden or constipated? Anyway, u can quarantine for a bit...or does he/she seem completely listless and/or distressed? It does look rather bad...but hate to euthanize and not be sure.... Sorry for the flip flop messages...and for the possible loss....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To update: A friend convinced me to try the pea trick with this tetra: thawing out frozen peas, smashing them, and feeding them to the whole tank so that it would eat some. I was absolutely convinced there was no way it would work, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. By the next day, the tetra was half the size it had been, and by the day after I couldn't even tell which tetra had been affected.

I'm astounded, honestly. I thought the poor thing was a goner.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Wow!!! That has to be a first for me. I've never seen anything recover from that size. Big thumbs up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very happy for you...glad you didn't put it down...also, sorry for my first pst...I almost instantly felt off about it once I pressed submit... Well done...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I absolutely don't blame anyone for advising me to put him down. I honestly thought I was wasting my time attempting the peas and felt bad for even trying. I can't believe the fish bounced back from that.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I absolutely don't blame anyone for advising me to put him down. I honestly thought I was wasting my time attempting the peas and felt bad for even trying. I can't believe the fish bounced back from that.
That is sooooo cool!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's amazing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts