Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Today I woke up to my first clutch of mystery snail eggs! Sadly, they were laid in my tank at my vacation home, which I have spent all summer at. The problem is that I am going back to school in less than a week, and was planning on transporting the snails with me back to their other tank at my home. I have read that the eggs won't hatch for 2-3 weeks.

I really want them to be healthy and have as many of them hatch as possible, which is why I am very nervous about possibly transporting them home. They would have to last 2 1/2 hours in the car. Is there any way to do this without reducing their chance of hatching?

Thank you!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get a small tub o ware container and put the clutch in it the day you leave and spray a tiny bit of water in it to keep it humid in the container, do all this the day you leave.
To get the clucth off get a clean razor blade and separate ir from the tank.
Oh and I would get some kordon breather bags because you're going to want to sell some of them when they get about the size of a dime because they are a good wat of making some extra money and you will be overrun if just left.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestion -- now I'm just wondering what to do once I get them home? Obviously they won't be attached to the tank anymore, so how do I keep them alive?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can you by chance get a 5 gallon tank?
If not leave them in the container until they hatch, when they do spay some water in there and after 30minutes or so put them in your tank, but alot of fish will eat them and they may go into the filter, but with Los of live plants they will be fine.
If you can get a tank for them put the clutch in there, and get a sponge filter and air pump and leave in your main tank to cycle it then when the clutch hatches slowly fill tank with water and add sponge filter and they will be fine in there.
You should try and make some snail hello or get cuttle bone because they need tons of calcium to grow there shell, also feed them blanched(hard boil for 45 seconds) zucchini once a week

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They will have a 3 gallon tank with the 3 adult snails, until/unless they need something larger. You told me what to do if I didn't have a tank, what do I do if I do have one?

(sorry for all the questions, it's my first time!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok, 3 adults should be in a 10 gallon at least so I would get a 10g if you can when you get home for the adults.
Then drain the 3g and place the clutch in it and once it hatched slowly fill the tank, and add a sponge filter and some live plants, you'll also need a lid so they don't crawl out.
Feed them cuttle bone once a week, zucchini weekly, and flakes every other day.
If you want to sell them get some kordon breather bags and heat packs( Fish Aquarium Supplies, Pond Supplies, Breeding Supplies, Fish Food sells them) and post ads on AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium equipment and fish in an auction format and when someone orders put them in the bag with some live plants and no air(breather bags let o2 in and co2 out and air causes problems)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts