Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice about ballon molly's and apart from the usual about the anal fin dark spot, how can i tell when she is about to give birth.

I have been looking into it quite a bit for a few days and although the most common is the answer my molly does not seem to have 1 (which i hear is very common also)

The last week or so she has got quite a bit bigger and the last few days she has started isolating herself from the group so i put her into a birth cage so that the other fish don't frustrate her.

Any tips will be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also Noticed that for the last few hours she seems to be pooping a lot, (more then normal anyway)
The waste does look line, its solid with a dark colour, apart from a few times it was like a broken line.
I was like a 3mm of waste and then a 3mm gap and then more but it was all in one string.
A little confused

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Most live bearers "square off" when they're getting close to birthing. Their bellies literally take on a squarish appearance. I really don't care for those birth cage things but, depending on your situation, you have to do what you have to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya she has squared over the last few days
the main reason for the birthing cage is that i am conscious about the other fish, especially the 2 angle and fighting fish, I have them on a diet of flakes and Live shrimp, every time i put the shrimp in they go crazy for them so i can imagine the fry would even have a chance to make it to the plants for cover.

any other tips please??

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ya she has squared over the last few days
the main reason for the birthing cage is that i am conscious about the other fish, especially the 2 angle and fighting fish, I have them on a diet of flakes and Live shrimp, every time i put the shrimp in they go crazy for them so i can imagine the fry would even have a chance to make it to the plants for cover.

any other tips please??

Those fish would definitely have a field day with the babies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts