Tropical Fish Keeping banner

How to ship? (To DC area)

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  lilnaugrim 
#1 ·
Soooo boyfriend and I will be moving possibly to DC after August 5th if we're lucky. We're hoping to find someone in StL that can house our fish before then, but it's not looking good. I'm hoping that I can at least find a temp place that can house them then ship them to us and I have no idea how to ship fish. Especially a rainbow shark. (We wouldn't have gotten the shark if we knew what kind of job we were getting in the next month, but you know how life goes.)

So I'm needing some help with how to ship a guppy, java loaches, a few glofish, a rainbow shark, and potentially a betta and single veiltail cherry barb. I may be able to bag the latter two and take them on a plane, but as it's DC, it's doubtful. Unless someone can house them for about four months for me while we do that job and see where we go next, anyway. I would prefer to have all go to the same household, or at least neighbors.

Help? Tumblr isnt of any use with these things...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=35196

The same goes for the other fish just get different sized bags. In this weather you don't need heat packs, just stuff the box with newspaper or paper towel to insulate (I don't even use the styrofoam but just stuff with newspaper instead to make a nice padding).

#4 ·
Yeah, or if you can possibly keep a small tank like a 1-2 gallon and keep a filter going with all your media in it with the Betta fish, you should be able to keep up your cycle for when you go back :)

#6 ·
Yeah that'd be fine, if you do bag them then keep them in a dark container that is insulated so the fish are calm :)

#8 ·
Just use your regular water, you don't need anything fancy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.