Tropical Fish Keeping banner

How to paint the back of a tank, can it be done during move?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  grwoolf 
#1 ·
I just bought a used 72g tank and it is set up with fish and live rock. I will be moving it a week from Sunday and woud like to paint the back black. Is this a good idea since I will be trying to limit the time the tank is broken down? What is the best/quickest process for doing this? What type of paint should I use? Can I do it with a single coat or do I need multiple coats? I was thinking about black latex paint with a brush and using a space heater and halogen lights to speed up the drying.

#7 ·
Shouldn't take more then about an hour. Clean the glass really well with ammonia, not windex. I've heard it's best to use an acrylic based paint. If you choose to spray paint it, get a sink full of hot water. Put the can in the water for 10 minutes prior to using it. This will warm the paint and allow it to flow more smoothly. It will also speed up drying time.

#8 ·
I picked up the tank yesterday and the painting went well. I used a semi-flat black in a spray can. It was a little cold and humid so I had to use halogen lights and a hair dryer to speed the drying, but it turned out good. The fish were out of the tank about 7.5 hours, but they all seem to be doing well after the move.

#12 ·
grwoolf said:
I tried to upload some pics, but after I browsed to my file and hit 'send', it said it was done, but nothing happened. How to I upload?
Try clicking the button 'Standard' and the img code of the picture should appear to your 'Post Reply' box.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.