Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there probably isn't a good way (or even a way) to determine the colour of the fry of a guppy, not knowing who/what colour the father is. So logically I'm going to try:p. Anyway, I got a female guppy a week ago who is veryyy gravid and looks like she is going to pop, and her body is white/see through-ish, if you get my drift. Her tale is blue and orange and I was wondering if that is a good indicator to the colour of her fry?

I apologize for this random question, just rather curious.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Id say its safe to assume that at least some of the fry will have her coloration just because that's how genetics works. but your right, there's really not a good way to say for sure what they will look like until they are here. in my experience with guppies most the fry have taken after the mothers coloration rather than the fathers but I'm not sure if that's a common trend in general.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fruit fly gene experiment back in high school works the same. (WOW time flies over 16 years ago lol)

You have a chance of getting mix parent gene 50% on the 2nd generation, and 25% back to parent's original color on 3rd generation. That is if you start with two only. If you have a multiple guppies tank. I say just wait till they grow up. They mate like rabbits and you can never tell.:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts