Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My platies keep eating them and he seems completely oblivious to it D: what do I do? I'm worried he may not be getting enough to eat...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
372 Posts
Otos live mostly on algae. If you don't have a lot of algae try feeding blanched vegetables.
Try zucchini, romaine lettuce, brussel sprouts or spinach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Otos live mostly on algae. If you don't have a lot of algae try feeding blanched vegetables.
Try zucchini, romaine lettuce, brussel sprouts or spinach.
There is algae, I just don't think he's getting enough. What exactly do you mean by "blanched" vegetables?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is algae, I just don't think he's getting enough. What exactly do you mean by "blanched" vegetables?
Posted via Mobile Device
Boil the vegetables for about a bit to soften it up. I had the same problem just put two pieces of wafers or vegetables hopefully the ottos find one piece.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Proper blanching is getting the water to a rolling boil, throw the veggies in for only a minute (time interval is dependent on the veggie), and then throw the veggies into ice water to stop the cooking process.

Otos are notorious for not eating algae wafers. Too, they do not eat all kinds of algae. What kind do you have?

You can culture algae on rocks by keeping them in a glass of water in the sun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts