Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
For my 75 gallon I use a 25 foot python, with a 25 foot craftsman rubber hose extention...it was only 7 bucks compared to about triple that for the python brand extension. I put the fill/drain attatchment on my sub-sink in my utility room, it's a nice big sink that's somewhat low so it helps with the suction. I crank on the water, suck and clean about 1/4 of my gravel and 10-20% water weekly. Then to fill it up I make sure all the water it sucked out of both hoses...then I adjust the water temperature to around 70 (coldwater tank), and turn the knob to the fill setting. As the water is filling, that's when I add the dechlorinator. After my tank is all set, I wrap up both hoses, making sure to drian the water from them.

For my 10 gallon, I don't bother with the python. I change about a gallon of water every week. I have a gallon container that I submerge slightly and fill it up halfway, and simply do this twice. To fill I use an old plastic milk bottle that's exactly one gallon. I add the salt mix with a funnel, a little dechlorinator. Then I get the water to about 75-77 and fill the bottle about 1/4 way up, shake it to mix the salt and dechlorinator, fill it half way, then shake again, and top it off and then pour in my 10 gallon.

Pretty simple processes which eliminate the use of heavy buckets and a potential mess.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts