Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to get 1-3 freshwater shrimp for my 5 gal tank and i need some tips on how to care for them, thank you. Also do i need live plants? i already have a few fake plants in there, and do i also need hiding places like rocks? What type of substrate? water conditions? what type of shrimp? Amano, ghost or red cherry?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Live plants are not necessary to keep shrimp and they aren't difficult to care for. Have you re-stocked your tank or do you still have the cory and guppies? You can't add anything if you still have those but if you rehome those and find a shirmp-friendly betta, you could definately have ghosts or cherries.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ok thanks for the info I am returning the othrt fish on Wednesday
Posted via Mobile Device
I have had experience with Amano Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp. Ghost Shrimp are probably the easiest aquatic animal to take care of, they will eat just about any organic matter. Crushed Fish Flakes are fine. Amano Shrimp are quite the same, they will eat any type of food, including algae. Sometimes these shrimp will live off of their own sheddings :p. I recommend 3 Ghost Shrimp per gallon and 1 Amano Shrimp per gallon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had experience with Amano Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp. Ghost Shrimp are probably the easiest aquatic animal to take care of, they will eat just about any organic matter. Crushed Fish Flakes are fine. Amano Shrimp are quite the same, they will eat any type of food, including algae. Sometimes these shrimp will live off of their own sheddings :p. I recommend 3 Ghost Shrimp per gallon and 1 Amano Shrimp per gallon.
I hear that RCS are pretty much the same as Ghost Shrimp other than their color and they grow slightly bigger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.