Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering how I can bring out the best, most intense colours in my fire mouth cichlid. He is a 1in juvie occupying a 2ft grow out tank with a baby tandanus tandanus of around 4in. I have Pisces Coral Sand Micro as the substrate, as I believe both fish like hardish water. (its my old A.Calvus tank, RIP). I have some driftwood, a half coconut shell cave, a couple of large rocks, one granite, one a thick piece of slate which is set vertically to create a wall, and a hair grass plant. I plan to get some more plants. I feed him Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets, Hikari cichlid pellets (not sure what type as a friend gave the cichlid pellets to me in a ziplock bag) and cichlid flakes, supplemented regularly with peeled peas. (the catfish shares the same diet). Anything that I could do better the colours of my fire mouth? I have seen some absolute stunners before.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks. the Hikari im using doesn't have corn or potato, although it does contain some soybean meal and some wheat flour. I will try and get some NLS, Ive heard a lot of great things about it, maybe also some freezedried krill, and frozen bloodworms.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have a big enough tank to breed them yet, but breeding cichlids is something i have wanted to try for a long time, Ill look into it. I have bred wild caught purple spotted gudgeons before, that I collected from my dam. I had them in with a various assortment of fish from local creeks and rivers, including my favourite fish, Bucky the Salmon Tailed Catfish.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry its a few days old, he has a lot of blues and greens on him when hes in the light now. I cant seem to repeat the process of putting the photo in files from Photo Booth, so i cant upload atm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.