Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what are your secrets? My tank is clean, water freshly changed...still the room smells. Anybody know a good secret? :wink:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
generally if the tank smells "fishy" this is indicative of high ammonia levels...which could be directly related to your tank and it's cycling process. i would recommend having your ammonia tested and if it is high, doing small daily water changes to bring it down. high ammonia is toxic to your fish. if you havent purchased an ammonia test kit, your local fish store should test it for free.

bri

·
Registered
706 Posts
Overfeeding and rotting food can stink, but generally an aquarium won't smell if you have a more-than-adequate sized filter with carbon, and keep your water clean.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I see you hav 2 clown loaches in a 10 gallon tank!!!!!!!! I would remove them ASAP and put them in the 30 gallon. 30 gallons still isnt enough but its better than 10!

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flattrack23 said:
I see you hav 2 clown loaches in a 10 gallon tank!!!!!!!! I would remove them ASAP and put them in the 30 gallon. 30 gallons still isnt enough but its better than 10!
Got your message in the other thread where you said the same thing, I appreciate the advice. :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Our tank actually smells good, I think it is the substrate that makes it smell nice and fresh (vermiculite and sand).

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nothing smelly about my aquariums (or I wouldn't want them in the house), and apparently the mature water which is high in nitrates makes great water for plants (so when you clean your aquarium, use it for your plants instead of throwing it out, because it has the 'fish fertilizer' in it.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
something wrong with your water then, something isnt being broken down by the filter maybe that is the source of the problem, or over stocking or overfeeding, or irregular water changes- algae has a potent oder maybe its that- my tank smells fresh, you know how a(this will sound weird) but when you get a new potted plant from a tropica display tank- well tht smell.

Ok i am mad- but does anyone else think algae has an almost metallic smell to it?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This post date was long ago, the smell resided long ago. Appreciate the help, but it's time for this thread to finally die. :lol:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Then consider it lock.:wink2: The pic is too gruesome, dprUsh83.:blueshake:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.