Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im moving my male veil tail betta from a 2.5 gallon unfiltered tank to a 10 gallon cycled tank. I am new to the fish keeping hobby so I wanted to know how to acclimate him to the 10 gallon. It is a heated tank and the 2.5 doesn't have a heater, so there is quite a temperature difference. Another thing i should mention is that I no longer have the cup that i brought him home in, or a bag to float him in. So what can i use to float him in the 10 gallon with? I've tried ziplock bags, but they don't work. They only seem to just tip over. :cry:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Im moving my male veil tail betta from a 2.5 gallon unfiltered tank to a 10 gallon cycled tank. I am new to the fish keeping hobby so I wanted to know how to acclimate him to the 10 gallon. It is a heated tank and the 2.5 doesn't have a heater, so there is quite a temperature difference. Another thing i should mention is that I no longer have the cup that i brought him home in, or a bag to float him in. So what can i use to float him in the 10 gallon with? I've tried ziplock bags, but they don't work. They only seem to just tip over. :cry:
You can use any plastic container just rinse it out and put the betta in with its water about half way of the.container. Wait about 20 to 30 minutes for the temperature in the tank to transfer heat to the water.in the container. Then slowly add water from the tank to the container little at a time until the container is almost full. wait another 20-30 min then net out the fish and slowly put it into the tank.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can use any plastic container just rinse it out and put the betta in with its water about half way of the.container. Wait about 20 to 30 minutes for the temperature in the tank to transfer heat to the water.in the container. Then slowly add water from the tank to the container little at a time until the container is almost full. wait another 20-30 min then net out the fish and slowly put it into the tank.
Agreed. You can also use a glass - like one that you would drink out of. I have some that are just the right shape to float. Also, I'd like to add that if the water between the two tanks is very different, then I'd do as Crazyfish suggested above, but after the container is full I would remove half of the water and slowly fill it up again. If the water is essentially the same, then you should be fine without this step. I'd also just empty the cup into the tank rather than using a net (easier on long betta fins). If he was coming from pet store water, then yes, I wouldn't want to get that in his new tank. But, since the water is coming from your other tank you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts