Tropical Fish Keeping banner

How much driftwood is too much for a 55 gallon tall freshwater community fish tank?

• A. 25% of the hardscape

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. 35% of the hardscape.

• D. 50% of the hardscape

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current goal is to convert all of my artificial decorations in my tank to a more natural landscape. My hardscape needs more driftwood, but I am concerned about tannin levels and how they might affect my freshwater fish. When it comes to driftwood in a 55 gallon freshwater tank with fish, how much is too much? My community has a total of (18) fish?
Plant Green Nature Natural environment Botany

·
Registered
469 Posts
My current goal is to convert all of my artificial decorations in my tank to a more natural landscape. My hardscape needs more driftwood, but I am concerned about tannin levels and how they might affect my freshwater fish. When it comes to driftwood in a 55 gallon freshwater tank with fish, how much is too much? My community has a total of (18) fish?
View attachment 845287
Tannic water is not harmful to fish, it is actually beneficial for them in many ways. The only downside is the appearance, but some people like it.

·
Administrator
7-10 tanks ranging in sizes up to 125g
66 Posts
Large amounts can change the chemistry of your water. All my tanks have plenty of wood, but I have a few with Panaqolus species and those tanks have massive amounts of wood. The water never looks clear and my fish love it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Large amounts can change the chemistry of your water. All my tanks have plenty of wood, but I have a few with Panaqolus species and those tanks have massive amounts of wood. The water never looks clear and my fish love it.
Yes I guess in theory if you filled the tank full of wood you could crash the PH and soften the water too much, but I've never seen that happen. Like you said, fish love it.

View attachment 845287
How much wood do you plan on using? Or how much do you want to use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts