Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 gallon tank with 6 fake plants and a large clump of real java moss. I have tons of hiding places and only have 5 zebra danios in. How many shrimp can i house?

·
Registered
115 Posts
go with 1 inch per gallon
make sure u have enough room before adding anymore fish.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
With cherry shrimp, if you get about 6 - 10 of them in there, making sure you have both female and male, they breed pretty easily in good water conditions.
DON'T mix the ghost shrimp with the cherry shrimp. The ghosties will eat the cherries.
For ghost shrimp, I'd start with a dozen, and again, make sure you have male and female, they're pretty easy to breed if the conditions are right. Mine breed like nuts in my 55 planted tank. Most of them live in the java moss, which covers almost the entire tank about 6 inches deep now
Keep in mind that the cherry shrimp will need algae for food, while the ghosties will eat flake food that falls to the bottom of the tank and pick at anything they can find in the gravel and rocks and plants..

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I watched ghosties catch and eat cherries... and I know for sure that they were ghosties..., it was ugly.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Eddie,
The shrimp I'm referring to WERE ghosties. I know of a handful of other species that are more aggressive than ghosties and look similar, like whisker shrimp, but I know for sure the shrimps I saw eating the cherries were ghosties. I've been keeping and raising ghosties for over 10 yrs now, I am very familiar with them, they're one of my favorites.
With whisker shrimp, I've actually watched them catch and eat fish!!!
Ammano shrimp don't mix well with cherries, either... they compete for food and the ammano will also eat the cherries if the tank isn't big enough for everyone.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I wouldn't put it past ghost shrimp to eat anything they think they can eat. I have had them eat guppy fry and yes they did catch them, I was shocked but at least I figured out why my fry were disappearing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well i was mis informed :/ i thought i read FISH but i was re reading it and it was shrimp :p. i guess you could have quite a few in there (but i wouldnt add SMALL shrimp with BIG shrimp cause that really doesnt go well) just get a couple more, maybe 10

·
Registered
370 Posts
since they usually sell by the dozen I'd go with that. They are pretty good at helping to keep the bottom of the tank clean (I'm referring to ghost shrimp because thats the ONLY kind you can get around here) since they'll eat practically anything then can find. Since ghost shrimp breed easily in good water conditions and only cost a few cents a piece a dozen would be fine. The population will stabilize itself over time in response to available food etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts