Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 40g freshwater tropical tank. I plan on putting only Platys (only males) and Bronze Corys in. How many of each can I keep if I want the numbers to be even?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
usual formula is 1 inch of fish per gallon...however with corys' being primarily a bottom fish and plattys' being a mid range fish (where in the tank they hang the most) you could push this a bit.
Unusual mix I must say....be sure and post pics. Also if this is a brand new tank.....make sure you have your bacteria number is up or you will lose all your fish to "new tank syndrome" Just a FYI
Hope this helps

C2D2

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I would check out aqadvisor.com. It’s a great place to start if you’re not sure of the limits. With experience you may determine that you can add more fish, but one of the biggest causes of failure is stocking too many fish too quickly. The hobby requires a lot of patience - it can take several months or more to stock a tank. But the good news is with good care the fish will live for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: FrightyDog

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 40g freshwater tropical tank. I plan on putting only Platys (only males) and Bronze Corys in. How many of each can I keep if I want the numbers to be even?
Thanks in advance.
Like jaysee said, use aqadvisor to guide you. They will tell you stocking advice and other lifestyles like how male platy will fight each other. You could start with 1 male and 5 female platy or all 6 females (if breeding is the concern) and 6 corydora. You can add 3 female platy and 3 corydora first then let them acclimate for a couple weeks and add 3 more. What else do you plan on putting in there?

usual formula is 1 inch of fish per gallon...however with corys' being primarily a bottom fish and plattys' being a mid range fish (where in the tank they hang the most) you could push this a bit.
Unusual mix I must say....be sure and post pics. Also if this is a brand new tank.....make sure you have your bacteria number is up or you will lose all your fish to "new tank syndrome" Just a FYI
Hope this helps

C2D2
As to the 1 inch rule... its not very accurate as you'll come to find out with time. Aqadvisor is a really good conservative stocking site.
Regarding the bacteria number, it doesn't really effect the fish, but the filter. If you add a lot of bacteria, many will die so just be aware that bacteria takes time to establish, thats why its a timed cycle. If you add fish to a new tank, you are taking a risk and somewhat sacrificing them in order to establish your filter bacteria colony. Adding the bacteria alone won't acclimate the bacteria to the bioload, and adding the fish alone will slowly accumulate bacteria, but not fast enough to be safe. Adding both helps start the tank with the good bacteria, but I wouldn't recommend it as a safe way to add new fish (like most fish stores will)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts