Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Does it help that I'm running 2 filters with 2 bags of biomax 70 in each filter to help detoxify the ammonia and nitrite?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Does it help that I'm running 2 filters with 2 bags of biomax 70 in each filter to help detoxify the ammonia and nitrite?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not really, since the bacteria still have to appear, colonize surfaces, and multiply--and this takes time. This is explained in that article.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device

Patience, my friend. You are trying to rush nature, but you really need to get the good bacteria to build up for you. You can't really get a quick fix from a bottle or bag. Just keep up with the partial water changes. And it's important to remember that even after your tank is cycled you'll still need to do weekly partial water changes. I know it seems like a PITA but it's necessary for the health of the fish. I have six tanks, I spend a lot of my time each week doing water changes. :lol:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks, I know I'm asking alot of questions but I seem to get a different answer for everything I ask. I just want this tank to cycle. I know I'm close as I'm seeing nitrates. I've asked so many people different questions and have gotten a different answer each time, I just don't know what to believe and not. I've been to different fish websites and they have completely different ways of doing things. I really appreciate the help though and will do the water changes until it cycles
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
The rate that bacteria double varies greatly depending on tank conditions (temperature, bio load, water parameters including water change frequency and percentage, if live plants are present, etc). There are too many variables to be able to give an exact answer. Small differences in doubling rate will have huge impact on the time it takes to build a colony in your tank that is large enough to process the waste. No one can give an exact answer for your specific situation, so that is why you only get general guidelines.

I was doing 20% daily water changes on my 29 gallon tank during my cycle. My ammonia never exceeded 0.25 ppm. It took 4 weeks to drop to 0. The Nitrite peaked at 0.5 ppm and dropped to zero 2 weeks after the Ammonia reached zero.

Near the end of the cycle I was sick of water changes. Now that I know about the fishless cycle, that is what I will do if I ever cycle another aquarium.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here are a few tips to speeding up the cycle:

Slowly raise the tank temperature to around 80 degrees. (I know you have fish in the tank so make sure they can handle it). Bacteria grow faster in warmer water.

Lower the water level to create a water fall effect.

Run an airstone in the tank.

Try and get a hold of some substrate from an established tank

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Here are a few tips to speeding up the cycle:

Slowly raise the tank temperature to around 80 degrees. (I know you have fish in the tank so make sure they can handle it). Bacteria grow faster in warmer water.

Lower the water level to create a water fall effect.

Run an airstone in the tank.

Try and get a hold of some substrate from an established tank
That is what speeds up the cycle. the waterfall affect creates more O2. You'd have to raise the temp over 82 for the bacteria to grow faster, being that 78-82 is normal.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I didn't ask you how long the tank takes to cycle.. I asked how long it takes for nitrites to start dropping once they've peaked.. read the question. Really don't care how long uve been doing fish keeping. Not everyone can be "perfect like you " and do a fishless cycle
Posted via Mobile Device
You were definitely an unnecessary a**hole, hopefully that’s changed in the last 12 years.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts