Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some brown algea froming on my plants only. It is not diatoms as they will not rub off. It is a 6 gallon marineland biowheel pillar aquarium with the stock led lighting. I run the lights for 7-8 hrs a day depending on when i get home for lunch to turn the lights on. I also dose flourish once a week. My ph is 7.6. I do weekly 50% water changes also. The tank has been up and running for seven months with no problems. This started to occur in the las two weeks. Thanks for any help. Here's one pic of what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Something must of changed? Does the tank get sunlight now? Have you added new plants? Are you doing anything different now then before? That looks to be a Anubias which don't appreciate direct light. Also if it is a Anubias make sure the rhizome isn't buried in the substrate or it could rot killing the plant.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have changed it to a different room but no direct sunlight. Also this is on all of my plants. My anibus, pennywort, and my crypts. The only thing I have changed was I cut the amount of frogbit I had in half to move it to another tank. I am getting more frogbit from a member on here next week. Do you think that's the problem? The rhiozome is not buried on the anibus.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Removing half the Frogbit allowed more light to get to the bottom of the tank. You can see the difference I am sure and I am also sure that's root cause of your problems. You changed something in this cause it was the amount of Floaters which disturbed the balance. You said you were going to be getting more soon but till then you can try different things such as reducing the light duration from 8 hrs to 6-7hrs. Your goal here is to try and find the balance again where the plants are thriving and the algae isn't. Also note when a change occurs in such a manner crypts can melt. So I would watch them.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I'd like to see this "algae" on the other plants if you could post a photo or two.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Are we talking about the irregular shaped blotches on the leaves? Or the fine "hair" along the leaf edge?

If the latter, that is a type of brush algae, and reducing the light and making sure the light and fertilizers are in balance will control it (stop it from increasing is the aim).

If the former, I'm not sure if this is algae or a nutrient/light issue. This is what it looks like on the Anubias.

Byron.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
As you are there to see the plants, do the blotches look like something on the leaf, or in the leaf? You said it didn't rub off easily, but does it come off at all?

It almost looks like a translucent patch, which is "in" the leaf, and not algae.

By Flourish I assume you mean the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium ?

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Yes Flourish Comprehensive. If I try to rub it off A little will but not all of it.
That must be a form of algae then. Boredomb dealt with the light previously, suggesting a reduction of an hour, try that.

I note you turn the lights on and off somewhat randomly; a good idea is one of those lamp timers you can get in hardware stores for a couple dollars. A regular daily light period is better. It is not a big thing, but algae is always waiting to take advantage of any little miscue.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
The problem is it'S an all in one unit. No way to put a timer on without shutting off the filter also.
So the light does not have its own electrical supply cord? Unfortunate. Just try to be regular then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts