Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden there are a million tiny snails in my tank. I have 3 bigger neon fish and 1 mystery snail in a 10 gallon tank. How do I get rid of the tiny snails and keep everyone else alive and well? I’d rather not buy more fish or other tank buddies to solve this problem. HALP!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have no idea, this has never happened to me before, but I heard that if you can remove them safely you can sell them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You will likely have to catch and remove the snails yourself. You can catch them by baiting them with a piece of blanched zucchini or romaine lettuce on a saucer (never exposed to soap) in the tank and just scoop the saucer and all the snails up and remove them. Make sure to also remove the veggies within 48 hours so the veggies don't rot and hurt the water quality. If the veggies float at first, you can wedge them down with a bit of decor. Most types of pest snails are nocturnal, so you may have more luck removing the saucer at night.

Mystery Snails can't breed without a mate and have male and female sexes, so they won't be Mystery Snail babies. They are more likely to be pest snails brought in on live plants or rocks as eggs that later hatched in your tank. There are plant dips you can look into later if you ever intend to add more live plants, so that you don't add in more snails or parasites with the live plants. They are probably Pond Snails, Malaysian Trumpet Snails, or Bladder Snails. There's also a possibility they could be Ramshorn Snails, which some people keep as pets while others consider them pests. You'll be unlikely to be able to rehome them if they are anything but Ramshorn Snails.

If there are a lot of pest snails, then it is also likely that you are overfeeding. Make sure that there aren't any leftover foods after you feed your animals. That will help keep the pest snail population down.

Once you've caught them, you may consider humanely euthanizing them. There are a lot of really inhumane ways to kill snails, such as freezing them. Please don't do that. Snails are advanced enough that it is most humane to use a two-part euthanasia method, that's what is recommended in the AVMA euthanasia guidelines, which is a set of humane euthanasia guidelines used by vets and scientists. The first phase will render them unconscious so they don't suffer when you actually kill them.
There's actually a very simple way to euthanize them humanely with easy to get materials.

First you knock them out with a 5% alcohol solution. Regular room temperature, flat beer in a disposable cup will work just fine. If you are underage, you can ask your parents to help you with it. Put the snails in the beer for 30 minutes and it will knock them out so they won't feel any pain. After the 30 minutes are up, you can carefully pour the beer out without removing the snails and then put a lethal 91% rubbing alcohol solution in the cup instead. Make sure all the snails are fully immersed. Leave them in that for 15 minutes, and they should die painlessly. Make sure to put the lethal amount in right after the 30 minutes of beer, as the snails can be revived if they've been out of the beer for long enough, and you want them knocked out so they don't suffer in the 91% alcohol mix. Do note that the snails will suffer if put right in the 91% alcohol mix, so it is important to do both steps in the right order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts