Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think there is a difference personally between 'hospital' and quarantine. For quarantine, I personally believe it should be set up with substrate, live plants (or at least fake, to offer shelter) and a lot of floating plants. This is because the fish we buy often come from stressed environments, and have dealt with the stress of shipping either nationally or even internationally. The idea is to bring them home into an environment tailored specifically for their needs and with no other species of fish for them to compete with. A friend of mine equated it to being at a vacation resort, with all your favorite friends with you. The quarantine tank allows us to closely monitor new fish for disease or deformities, and to get to know them better.

A hospital tank is different, it's where a diseased or highly injured fish needs to be medicated, and a bare ten gallon with a SEEDED sponge filter should be sufficient. (By seeded, I mean it is colonized by beneficial bacteria, you can keep the sponge itself in your tank or filter until it's needed.) You'll also need a heater. This tank can be kept in storage until it's needed, but I believe in a constantly running quarantine tank for new fish.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.