Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
since i had my own dramas with dwarf gouramis, my friend has decided not to get them for his tank.
he went to the store that I go to, which is pretty big and the owner seems to know what he's talking about, and they told him that in terms of aggression all gourami males are bad, but that the Honey gourami is the best because its the most peaceful and rather than the males just building bubble nests and getting territorial all the time, they just get aggressive for a few days once every month or so.
Is this correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
zen242 said:
Honey gourami is the best because its the most peaceful and rather than the males just building bubble nests and getting territorial all the time
Peaceful, yes.:)
they just get aggressive for a few days once every month or so.
Is this correct?
They are still the same as other gouramis. They get aggressive during spawning season.:wink2: The exception is that they don't at least get aggressive without nearing the spawning conditions.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
zen242 said:
... they just get aggressive for a few days once every month or so.
Is this correct?
Sacre Poo! I have married a Male Honey Gourami!
:shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
tophat665 said:
Sacre Poo! I have married a Male Honey Gourami!
:shock:
:bluelaugh: :thumbsup:
Unusual combination of a human and fish.:wink2: Your offspring would be a mermaid.:bluelaugh: :wink2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there is a season? I thought with teh Dwarfs they just permanently truied to make bubble nests? Same deal with the honeys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
zen242 said:
So there is a season? I thought with teh Dwarfs they just permanently truied to make bubble nests? Same deal with the honeys?
That will depend on the individual.:) Some will make bubblenest, some will not.
When I say spawning season, that is the stage wherein they begin to act in an unusual manner and in the following days, spawning behavior will become obvious. It can be triggered by various circumstances depending on what happens in their native habitat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how often is it, or is it all the time? And does it differ in terms of timing between dwarfs and honeys?? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Its usely once a month for gouramis mine only tried to spwan once but i didnt got any baby's. my male gold gourami riped up my angel to its death. :x i would separate your gouramis when they start to make a bubble nests
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
joeshmoe said:
Its usely once a month for gouramis mine only tried to spwan once but i didnt got any baby's. my male gold gourami riped up my angel to its death. :x i would separate your gouramis when they start to make a bubble nests
Agreed. I will add that females should be removed immediately when they finished spawning. Male anbantids are known to beat their partners right after spawning.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top