Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys! My name is Hannah and I live in Scotland with my hubby, son and two cats. Our family are super new to the hobby of keeping fish having bought a secondhand 40l/10 gallon tank for our 4 Yr olds Christmas. I'm maybe getting a little bit more obsessed with fish then Louis 😂. We currently have 5 Cardinal tetras, teo plants, multiple snails and 4 Pygmy corydoras that are doing great. We had introduced 4 Guppies but they slowly died over the space of two weeks (from my research I think it ended up being white spot that got them however I was treating them for lack of oxygen as they ended up scaling the water surface).

Ever since we bought the guppies though we've been struggling to keep ammonia and nitrite levels in check. We're currently sitting with a slight ammonia and nitrite spike (reading of between 0 and 0.25mm) even after multiple water changes and adding Prime, filter boost and stuff to detoxify Ammonia from the water. Is there anything else we could be doing to help lower this to zero?

My other little dudes don't show any signs of distress and I have actually tested our tap water for Ammonia and it always shows 0.25mm which makes me wander if the test is just showing ammonium instead?

Any help on theatter would be so grateful. I'd love to get to a point that I don't have to do daily water changes 😂😂.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello Han...

Water changes should be at least half the tank's volume performed every few days for small tanks less than 30 gallons. I would suggest using Seachem's "Safe" as your water treatment. A quarter teaspoon or so in every five gallons of tap water and the water changes will keep the water chemistry safe for your fish. Being in Scotland, you'll have to do the conversion math.

M

1 - 2 of 2 Posts