Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I am extremely concerned about the people who frequently criticize other members under the guise of giving "advice". The threads on "community tanks" and "what fish do you have with your bettas?" are just two recent examples. In the latter thread, the OP even stated she didn't want advice posted and was ignored.

Unfortunately, once the unsolicited "advice" starts, the topic is lost. It seems that people less timid than I don't want to set themselves up to be publicly criticized.

Apparently some people have the mindset of SkyeWillow that "if you didn't want anyone's opinion on something, then don't post it on a public forum. People will have thoughts and opinions, and they will voice them if they think something is wrong."

Anyway, JMO but also a concern because I really wanted to see those community tanks!

Thank you for listening,

Linda

·
Administrator
1,333 Posts
Linda,

Thank you for your note.

I can appreciate the concerns you have because I've seen it happen on pretty much every online public gathering I've been a part of.

Firstly, if you really want to get into specifics, the thread you referenced where the OP stated she didn't want advice (What fish do you have with your bettas?)... she didn't actually state this until post #7. But I get what you're saying.

The hard truth is that TFK, like many other PUBLIC online communities, is and has always been a place for people to express themselves within the guidelines of the rules of the community. The nature of these mediums is for people to gather and discuss about their hobbies/passions. To me, any discussion of a certain topic in life with another human being always leads way to the possibility of advice being given. We cannot penalize people for giving advice, even if it's unwarranted.

Now, if someone giving advice has done so in a manner that goes against the rules of the community, I would suggest reporting the post in question and let the moderators handle it and until they do so, stay out of the discussion (i.e. don't add fuel to the fire).

The mods are aware of this type of "behavior" as of late and behind closed doors, there's an active discussion on how to handle it (if in fact, we need to make adjustments to how we're currently handling it).

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. Now that I know you're aware and working on it I really have nothing to say publicly.

I understand the public forum thing. I like the way a forum of which I am a member handles it. Particiants must stay OT. If it's a "Show and Tell" thread, advice goes private or those who feel so inclined can start a new thread. If it's a "What Do I Do?" or "What Do You Think?" then any comments are acceptable.

I also thiink people who say that the fish of those with whom they disagree are "surviving; not thriving" is a particularly harsh statement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts