Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
7-10 tanks ranging in sizes up to 125g
63 Posts
You have 3-4 threads that all seem to be the same problem.

Unfortunately there is no set manual on how to set up and keep fish, too many different factors. Ask 10 different people the same question and chances are you will get 5-10 different answers. What works for one person will not necessarily work for the next.

With that said, personally I still feel you need to let things settle in. If you're still keeping just a few glofish and dwarf frogs in a 20 there isn't much of a bio load.

·
Administrator
63 Posts
This is what I mean, different things work for different people.

I also breed fish. Mainly Plecos but also shrimp, snails, corydora, guppies, rainbow fish, sparkling gourami … All but one of my tanks are bare bottom. My 125g tank is in a family room so it has substrate and plants to make it more pleasing to look at, however it also serves as a breeding setup. Use of bare bottom tanks and lack of decorations is for convenience.

I use hob, canister, sponge, and matten filters as well as power heads. Sponges I clean with tap water every few months. One of the “filters” I rely on most in many of my tanks are live floating plants: Java moss, najas grass, süsswassertang, and especially hornwort and pothos.

As for water, I have Chicago water. I use a python on all tanks to drain and fill with tap water straight from the faucet. Dosing with API. Approximately 20-30% per tank per week, more often on grow out tanks to help the growth of fry. I haven’t “aged” water in probably 15 years and when I did, it was only for maybe a week. I don’t regularly vacuum my tanks, other than grow out tanks. The others I only vacuum when I tear them apart, once or twice a year.

·
Administrator
63 Posts
I’ve done the same when keeping angelfish with no problems. None of this matters for op though, was just demonstrating the differences in fish keeping.

O.p. has a 20g kit she bought for her son that is lightly stocked. In reading her other threads it seems she had an algae bloom and in response the tank was over cleaned causing it to start the cycle process over again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts