Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my tank about a month ago (10 gallon) and I only let it cycle for about a week using some instant cycle stuff that I had. I hadn't done enough research on properly cycling an aquarium so after a week of it running and using the instant cycle stuff I added 6 guppies. I'm pretty sure my tank started to cycle about a week after I put the guppies in. They started to look black so I took a water sample to the pet store and they told me I had high ammonia and some nitrites and to do a 50% water change with gravel cleaning and then 20% water changes every day until the ammonia is gone. After 3 days the ammonia tests came out clear but nitrites and nitrates were getting higher. I kept doing the water changes and got a few baby java ferns but the nitrites/trates are higher than ever. The levels have stayed at the highest on the chart that I have for the past 3 days. Is this typically how the cycle goes? Or am I doing something wrong? The blackness is almost gone from my fish now although one of them now has pop eye. I also have 13 fry in the tank which all see fine. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.