· Registered
13,247 Posts
I'm confused. Where's the nitrite?:question:
This one?

2 Nitrate pre 1 Nitrate post

· Registered
13,247 Posts
ttiger72 said:
Sorry Blue 2 Nitrite pre 1 Nitrite post. 0-5 Nitrates pre and post.
That's pretty high.:) I'd do a 10% water change to lower it.:)

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Blue said:
ttiger72 said:
Sorry Blue 2 Nitrite pre 1 Nitrite post. 0-5 Nitrates pre and post.
That's pretty high.:) I'd do a 10% water change to lower it.:)
That's the problem, I have already done more than a 10% tonight. and every night this week. Started at 5 on Monday. Any ideas on the guppy? Is it just the high Nitrites taking their toll :(

· Registered
13,247 Posts
ttiger72 said:
Is it just the high Nitrites taking their toll :(
Detectable ammonia and nitrites are toxic to the fish.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
:welldone: :welldone: nitrites are at .25 and nitrates are at 10-20 after a .5g PWC. The guppy is swimming all over the place has some color back and is much more energetic. Looks like we are heading in the right direction :D

· Registered
2,716 Posts
The fish appear to have a bacterial & fungal problem, but it is not safe to medicate with nitrite showing up in the water. The best thing to do right now is to keep up with the water changes, decrease the feedings (every other day what the fish can finish in 1 minute), and give the tank a chance to complete the cycle. If we medicate now, it could be lethal to everything in the tank.

I will agree with not overdoing the biospira, too much of a good thing is no good. Time is the only thing I can suggest at this point, and keep water testing, every day to every other day. Once the water quality is in the clear, I can suggest an effective medication that should help clear up the rest of your problem.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
bettababy said:
The fish appear to have a bacterial & fungal problem, but it is not safe to medicate with nitrite showing up in the water. The best thing to do right now is to keep up with the water changes, decrease the feedings (every other day what the fish can finish in 1 minute), and give the tank a chance to complete the cycle. If we medicate now, it could be lethal to everything in the tank.

I will agree with not overdoing the biospira, too much of a good thing is no good. Time is the only thing I can suggest at this point, and keep water testing, every day to every other day. Once the water quality is in the clear, I can suggest an effective medication that should help clear up the rest of your problem.
Thanks bettababy, I didn't overdo the biospora, in total about 3mls were added. I will post once the tank has stabilized, or if anything takes a turn for the worse.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
GREAT news!! Tonight's test before doing a .5G PWC were 0 Ammnoia and 0 Nitrites, Nitrates were 10-20. The guppy looks really really good. The fin damage is still there, but his color is back and the growths that I saw on his face and head are gone :welldone: :welldone:

I will post an update later this week. Again thanks for the advice everyone, esp Bettababy!!

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Another week later another week healthier. Still 0s on the Ammonia and Nitrites, 10-20ppm Nitrates. Guppy is doing really good, his tail fin is starting to get a little better and he's a nice yellow again!

· Registered
2,716 Posts
That's great news!!! I'm so glad we were able to help! Keep up with the water changes and all should be fine... also a good idea to check water params about once/month or so just to make sure everything stays stable. As long as the water quality stays good, the fins should heal without any problem.
If you notice any further problems, run those water tests asap and let us know, we're always here to help!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.