Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my nitrate has always been 40-50, i have never been able to get it down, i went to a different pet store and the guy advised i test tap water(which i should have thought about ages ago!!) anyways so, my water from the tap reads 50 on nitrates, so i guess thats my problem! how do i tackle this?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well you could always switch over to reverse osmosis or distilled water and that would eliminate the problem. Assuming you don't want to do go through that trouble the next step would be to add a bunch of live plants to your tank to help take out the nitrates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
40-50 is not a dangerous level unless you are keeping ultra sensative fish
i keep stingrays in london tap water which is 40-50 even higher sometimes

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i could do plants, i wouldnt want many tho, wat do u suggest? somethin that wont need co2??? also i dont think any of my fih r super sensitive tho i have a gbr and a bolivian, also a pair of denisoni barbs????

·
Registered
370 Posts
The gbr might be a bit sensitive to the nitrates...not sure though as none of my tanks ever top 10 ppm in terms of nitrates. Wisteria would probably be a good choice...definitely doesn't require co2 or high lighting and grows rapidly which will help with nitrates. I'll post up a picture of it in a few minutes.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
you could try buying some nitrate ridding chemicals that you put in your water before it goes in the tank like a dechlorinator, i dont know whats a good company though since ive never had this problem

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i already use an aqua clear product for water changes, i just cant get the nitrates down, my gbr is doin really well, mor so than the bolivian if i may say so, also i do not want fertiliser etc etc. i really didnt want live plants but i need to sort this out asap. will a planted 1 do?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the same problem (plus ultra-hard water)....

I tried using this product called Purigen from Sea Chem this last weekend.

After 3 days my nitrates went from 30 ppm to 20 ppm....says one 100ml packet ($7) would work on 100 gallon tank for about 6 months before you need to regen it....so I will test again after 7 days, if I can get it down to 10, I will officially recommend it, but in your case, for $7, it's worth a shot. Got it at Petsmart.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use purigen in my filters as well. Beats the crap out of carbon eh? Though I do tend to get some little purigen balls floating through the tank from time to time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Instead of carbon?

I'm using both...think I can use too much Purigen? If not, I'll throw in another one and stop using carbon (I'm almost out anyway, about to buy some more)

Thing is, you also have to be careful what type of water treatment chemicals to use....they suggest you switch to "Prime", which of course is a SeaChem product.....but seems to be acceptable, only a few drops required.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use both mostly for the fact that I'm running more than 15 tanks at the moment and don't feel like shelling out the money to convert them all over to purigen just yet. I think it could easily take the place of carbon in my tanks in the near future however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts