Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I know we have had this discussion before lol. We do things totally different and that is fine. But a properly setup planted tank can consume more then what a fully stocked tank can produce. Typically nitrates only show up in some cases because they are processed by the filter which is directly competing with the plants of the ideal ammonia. Even with heavy stock and EI dosing, nitrates in my tanks get consumed pretty rapidly. Either the plants are consuming them or they are getting suck into a black hole. I don't dose 20+ppm a week just for lolz. There was once a article by walstad comparing nitrogen uptake available online. You are correct of course that ammonia is uptaken most readily, but I feel you are underestimating the nitrate uptake that can happen in a productive planted tank.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Forgot to add, most RO units I see suggest around 40PSI. The cheap portable unit I got off ebay for around $60 needs 35PSI which is doable on most house systems including wells. I use it only occasionally and it currently generates water with around 5-10 TDS. Also using a RO/Tap mix usually avoid the need for any additives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.