Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, heres the situation, I have a custom tank 32T and fighting with ammo levels

right now my ammo levels are at 4.5 and ph is insane like 18.2

I'm getting frustrated with the "fixes" that don't work, or just no working for me

this is what i have done;

1. ammo lock for 6 days straight with no improvement
2. 50% water change using tap boiled water (well)
3. 50% water change using "culligan" filtered water that claims
a. micro contaminate collection
b. active carbon filtration
c. reverse osmosis filtration
d. UV light filtration
e. something else, (god i can't remember)
4. Ammo-carb 1.5 cups per direction (this was recommended by petsmart... lol, ok, grasping for straws now)

please, i have only lost 2 fish, but they can't be very happy with this condition

·
Registered
101 Posts
alright guys, heres the situation, I have a custom tank 32T and fighting with ammo levels

right now my ammo levels are at 4.5 and ph is insane like 18.2

I'm getting frustrated with the "fixes" that don't work, or just no working for me

this is what i have done;

1. ammo lock for 6 days straight with no improvement
2. 50% water change using tap boiled water (well)
3. 50% water change using "culligan" filtered water that claims
d. UV light filtration
e. something else, (god i can't remember)
4. Ammo-carb 1.5 cups per direction (this was recommended by petsmart... lol, ok, grasping for straws now)

please, i have only lost 2 fish, but they can't be very happy with this condition
Get your fish out of there and just change the water 100 percent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess i should have said..... done that too. the ammo problem I'm sure it due to the well in witch i am using, i am in a heavy agriculture area and I'm sure thats why the minerals are causing the ammo, but even with that, I am working on a test tank witch is a 5 gallon to try and find the solution without stressing my fish anymore than they are already. Now i have done a 100% water change in that tank today using the "culligan" filtered water and the ammo is still in the 3.8 range adding nothing but quick start. Seems that i am going to have to find the fix for the water that i have available, seems to be a issue with the area I'm in

·
Registered
101 Posts
guess i should have said..... done that too. the ammo problem I'm sure it due to the well in witch i am using, i am in a heavy agriculture area and I'm sure thats why the minerals are causing the ammo, but even with that, I am working on a test tank witch is a 5 gallon to try and find the solution without stressing my dish anymore than they are already. Now i have done a 100% water change in that tank today using the "culligan" filtered water and the ammo is still in the 3.8 range adding nothing but quick start. Seems that i am going to have to find the fix for the water that i have available, seems to be a issue with the area I'm in
You should probably use filtered drinking water. That's what I use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is what i am using name brand water

"3. 50% water change using "culligan" filtered water that claims
d. UV light filtration
e. something else, (god i can't remember)"

·
Registered
101 Posts
that is what i am using name brand water

"3. 50% water change using "culligan" filtered water that claims
d. UV light filtration
e. something else, (god i can't remember)"
That's odd, then there's really nothing I can come up with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wait, are you sure pH is 18? Thats unbelievably alkaline.

Doesn't the pH scale go to maximum 14?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it's a guesstamation, the chart does not go that high but it also stops at red, but i have such a pretty shade of purple i though it was rain....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm questioning the test kit 's accuracy. Could it be very old? Are you sure you are using it correctly? I lived just down the road from you and there was never anything strange as far as P.H. or ammonia levels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, now that i have had ammo-carb in a 50% water change for 36 hours ph bounced the other direction, but ammo still over 3.0

20140326_151805.jpg

20140326_152132.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, I am questioning the test kit. Try your local fish stores' and maybe you will get different results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay, New test strips .....
pH 6.8,
KH (alkalinity) below 0 ppm, guess that is too low, says suppose to be 120-160ppm,
GH 25,
NO2 0,
and NO3 0.

but these don't test ammo witch is still high

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thats better. No way anything could surrvive in 18 pH.
I dont even think 18 exists..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts