Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I've just set up my first aquarium for about 30 years and I know absolutely nothing as its been so long since I've kept fish.
I decided to start again after suffering ill health and not being able to get out much and I then had someone offer me this tank
At present i only have zebra danios in it.
I'm having a few teething issues but ill start another thread for that
Cheers

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
That tank seems nice! Appreciate the live plants! It till be a little bit to small once they grow up but a nice 10 gallon tank upgrade will solve that. In that ten gallon tank you could have a few more danios then you have right now and a nice betta fish (I reccomend a female) swimming around in it. I also suggest mystery snail, ramhorn snails, and cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp in that future 10 gallon tank. However, if you can not upgrade this tank for various reasons once those fish die just get some snails and shrimp since its a very small tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm already looking at bigger tanks to upgrade to after Christmas. I have my sights set on a 3ft rectangular tank rather than the hexagonal one I have now for my main tank and possibly keeping this tank for other purposes, possibility not fish related but we'll see.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sounds great! How many gallons is the tank you were looking into? Also, howmany gallons is the one you currently have your danios in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure in gallons but the one I have at the moment is 30 litre.

The tanks im looking at (im considering a few) are at least double that

·
Registered
225 Posts
WOW! Thats actually a pretty big tank! I used to have a version like this when I was 10 but it was only 2.5 gallons (9.4 liters). This is the perfect size for just a few danios. I would personally upgrade to ten gallons, (37.8 liters) and add a nice centerpiece betta fish (Make sure its a really calm male) but this is perfect for jsut a few danios! Watch this link if you want to upgrade and et the PERFECT betta fish!
she has guppies with betta fish in her tank but its the exact same process, the only diffrence if you have zerba danios, not guppies, but they are both friendly fish and perfect tank mates for betta fish!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have actually upgraded..I went a bit overboard to be honest as it was a bargain on ebay and I had only got 3 minutes to bid before it ended.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) i don't work in metric sizes as im old school and didn't work out how big this tank actually is before bidding.

Anyway I'm now the owner of a 60x40x30cm 95 litre tank

·
Registered
225 Posts
OMG! WHAT AN AMAZING TANK!

Here is what I reccomend you stock it with: 1 male betta, 6-8 danios, 2-4 mystery snails, 1-3 ramhorn snails (If possible they are hard to find), 3 female guppies, several cherry and/or ghost shrimp, and mabye a 4-9 cherry barbs or neon teras if you think there's enough space.

If you don't want a center peice fish tank (Meaning a large bright colorful fish like the betta I reccomended) you should add an assortment of snails, shrimp, mollies, platies, neon tetras, male guppies, (Female guppies are to bland if you want an assorted community fish tank plus thry will make babies with the males) and mabye some cardinal tetras as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Set it up this afternoon. Just got to wait now and hopefully it'll be fine once the cycle finishes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks. I'll look into ordering some once Xmas is out of the way

Please do not add bottled bcteria as these won’t definitely cycle your tank. I have used 5 bottles of tetras safe start and this never ever have cycled any of my tanks.
And do not put any tiger barbs in the tank as they are usually too aggressive and sill bother the betta which is a slower swimming bettta because of their long fins and will need larger group than 4-6 to relieve their aggressivness. Do not add mollies to the tank either as these will nip bettas fins and you do not have to add any shrimps or snails to the tank, but shrimps will be eaten or killed by the betta. The mystery snails will eat any live plants. I recommend you not getting shrimp or snails and get many live plants.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In a large enough tank like he has tiger barbs actually are nice companions for betta fish! Just as long as they are in a large group they won't bother your betta fish! I have a nice school of 8-12 tiger barbs (I got the tank a while ago as a show case tank and can't remember quite how many I got) and a slow long tailed betta fish, nothing bad has happened. They are in a 18 gallon tank which is actually smaller then he has!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have Harlequin Rasbora and Julii Corydoras in my tank now.
All doing fine. They even keep the cat entertained haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks. I need to do a water change at the weekend as the tannins from the wood has turned the water brown.

I'll try to het some better pictures then

·
Registered
122 Posts
In a large enough tank like he has tiger barbs actually are nice companions for betta fish! Just as long as they are in a large group they won't bother your betta fish! I have a nice school of 8-12 tiger barbs (I got the tank a while ago as a show case tank and can't remember quite how many I got) and a slow long tailed betta fish, nothing bad has happened. They are in a 18 gallon tank which is actually smaller then he has!
Pretty much true but bigger tank and more barbs too, I like barbs but they’re not my fish. I’m in love with bettas and livebearers. Oh and vampire shrimp.
My cats sometimes awkwardly stare at my fish tank too!
My cats don’t care for fish but they sure eat tuna :>

1 - 20 of 28 Posts