Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
3-gallon
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired my first Betta 馃悷 last month (April 2022) and am always on the lookout for reliable advice to help keep him healthy and happy.
He's a ton of fun - I never knew a little fish could have so much personality!
We've become companions and I want to do everything I can to keep him healthy, happy, stimulated, and content.
Glad to be a member of this forum! :giggle:

Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
Nice to meet you. Welcome.

Registered
I acquired my first Betta 馃悷 last month (April 2022) and am always on the lookout for reliable advice to help keep him healthy and happy.
He's a ton of fun - I never knew a little fish could have so much personality!
We've become companions and I want to do everything I can to keep him healthy, happy, stimulated, and content.
Glad to be a member of this forum! :giggle:
Hello there and welcome to the forum. The main thing is to keep up with water changes. Bettafish are prone to bacterial problems unfortunately and secondly feed him a balanced diet to keep him regular. May I ask is he in a filtered aquarium?

Registered
3-gallon
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there and thanks so much for replying! I do water changes 3 times weekly, 10 to 25 per cent each time, and feed him bloodworm, pellets, and bug bites. I have an API test kit which I barely use anymore since I am doing regular water changes and have both Seachem Prime and Stability on hand if needed. I add a dose Prime with each change, but not Stability. The aquarium is filtered, although the filter is the thing I struggle with most. I've had too much conflicting advice and remain at a loss as to what is the best filter to use. Naturally, I will be happy to hear your recommendation :)
Plant Window Organism Terrestrial plant Glass

Registered
Hi there and thanks so much for replying! I do water changes 3 times weekly, 10 to 25 per cent each time, and feed him bloodworm, pellets, and bug bites. I have an API test kit which I barely use anymore since I am doing regular water changes and have both Seachem Prime and Stability on hand if needed. I add a dose Prime with each change, but not Stability. The aquarium is filtered, although the filter is the thing I struggle with most. I've had too much conflicting advice and remain at a loss as to what is the best filter to use. Naturally, I will be happy to hear your recommendation :) View attachment 845077
okay I can help with that, what kind of filtration do you have going at the moment? As long as there is water movement and a little biological filtration(beneficial bacteria) to help with ammonia when he goes to the bathroom. 馃檹 馃憣

Registered
3-gallon
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The filtering system came with the tank. It's a small tank - only 3 gallon (for now). My concern is changing the charcoal cartridge. Some insist it must be replaced monthly, others say it's okay to clean it / rinse through fish water and keep using it. Mine has formed a light film of green slime which I'm told is essential to maintaining BB. So, as you can see, I'm confused. Thanks for your help!
Liquid Drinkware Fluid Plant Grass

Plant Terrestrial plant Arecales Aquatic plant Water

Registered
The filtering system came with the tank. It's a small tank - only 3 gallon (for now). My concern is changing the charcoal cartridge. Some insist it must be replaced monthly, others say it's okay to clean it / rinse through fish water and keep using it. Mine has formed a light film of green slime which I'm told is essential to maintaining BB. So, as you can see, I'm confused. Thanks for your help! View attachment 845078
View attachment 845079
I've never heard of re-using carbon so I can't say anything about that. Usually carbon is only effective for about 3-4 weeks then it needs to be changed out. What I'm trying to say is that you don't really need carbon, you need some type of filter media that can house beneficial bacteria to convert the ammonia. Does your filter have any mechanical filter media already?

Registered
Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 2 Bettas in private tanks
Hi there and thanks so much for replying! I do water changes 3 times weekly, 10 to 25 per cent each time, and feed him bloodworm, pellets, and bug bites. I have an API test kit which I barely use anymore since I am doing regular water changes and have both Seachem Prime and Stability on hand if needed. I add a dose Prime with each change, but not Stability. The aquarium is filtered, although the filter is the thing I struggle with most. I've had too much conflicting advice and remain at a loss as to what is the best filter to use. Naturally, I will be happy to hear your recommendation :) View attachment 845077
Cute betta , First , you are changing the water too frequently and not giving the good and needed bacteria a chance to develop properly a 15% to 25% water change once a month will suffice if you have proper filtration and aeration (Which I see from your pictures you do). Are those live plants or plastic? Live plants will remove harmful nitrites & nitrates from the water that are caused by ammonia (poop, excess food , dying live plants ,etc)
As for Charcoal / Carbon filters or any other chemical filter (phosphate , ammonia etc.) those should be replaced once a month and definitely not rinsed / reused , any form of bio media filter should be left alone (never cleaned / rinsed as that will remove / reduce the helpful organics on them) and any mechanical filter media (sponges , screens , pads) can be cleaned / reused after thoroughly drying (preferably in direct sunlight / UV will kill off any unwanted bacteria) before reusing. We have a rotation of three 50 micron filter pads that we wash/rinse/dry(sunlight) for each of our 3 tanks filtration systems. I hope this helped.

Registered
3-gallon
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never heard of re-using carbon so I can't say anything about that. Usually carbon is only effective for about 3-4 weeks then it needs to be changed out. What I'm trying to say is that you don't really need carbon, you need some type of filter media that can house beneficial bacteria to convert the ammonia. Does your filter have any mechanical filter media already?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'carbon'. My filter has a cartridge which sits inside the housing.

Registered
3-gallon
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cute betta , First , you are changing the water too frequently and not giving the good and needed bacteria a chance to develop properly a 15% to 25% water change once a month will suffice if you have proper filtration and aeration (Which I see from your pictures you do). Are those live plants or plastic? Live plants will remove harmful nitrites & nitrates from the water that are caused by ammonia (poop, excess food , dying live plants ,etc)
As for Charcoal / Carbon filters or any other chemical filter (phosphate , ammonia etc.) those should be replaced once a month and definitely not rinsed / reused , any form of bio media filter should be left alone (never cleaned / rinsed as that will remove / reduce the helpful organics on them) and any mechanical filter media (sponges , screens , pads) can be cleaned / reused after thoroughly drying (preferably in direct sunlight / UV will kill off any unwanted bacteria) before reusing. We have a rotation of three 50 micron filter pads that we wash/rinse/dry(sunlight) for each of our 3 tanks filtration systems. I hope this helped.
Again, thank you for the excellent advice! This is extremely helpful to me and, of course, to my sweet Betta, who's name is Bluetred.馃槉 The plants are silk - my goal is to have him in a 10-gallon live-planted aquarium by the end of August. As a disabled senior unable to drive it takes me three times longer to accomplish simple tasks, but we'll get there. Thank you again - so much!

Registered
Again, thank you for the excellent advice! This is extremely helpful to me and, of course, to my sweet Betta, who's name is Bluetred.馃槉 The plants are silk - my goal is to have him in a 10-gallon live-planted aquarium by the end of August. As a disabled senior unable to drive it takes me three times longer to accomplish simple tasks, but we'll get there. Thank you again - so much!
Bluetred , that wouldn't be a play on Uhtred from The Last Kingdom would it?

Registered
3-gallon
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can I impose upon you to give me your thoughts on which to use?: Carbon, bio media, or mechanical? I'd like to get it right before I eventually transition him to a live-planted tank. I have to rely on online ordering as I'm immobile/disabled/unable to drive, and am overwhelmed with manufactures' claims their product is best - I've wasted so much money simply because I don't know any better. Customer reviews aren't always helpful - I'd love to get your thoughts on this. 馃 Thank you so much!

Registered
Can I impose upon you to give me your thoughts on which to use?: Carbon, bio media, or mechanical? I'd like to get it right before I eventually transition him to a live-planted tank. I have to rely on online ordering as I'm immobile/disabled/unable to drive, and am overwhelmed with manufactures' claims their product is best - I've wasted so much money simply because I don't know any better. Customer reviews aren't always helpful - I'd love to get your thoughts on this. 馃 Thank you so much!
In our 2 Betta tank(s) (a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon) HOB filtration systems we've added a 50 micron cut to size mechanical filter pad before the carbon filter. From what I've read / been told a betta tank really doesn't require biological media in the filtration because the fish is in there all alone. In our 50 gallon guppies & friends tank (currently 9 guppies , 6 tetras and 2 mollies) we have , in order of water passing through : a rinseable / reusable mechanical filter pad that comes with the unit at intake , a cut to fit 50 micron rinseable / reusable mechanical filter pad , a mesh bag full of bio media (do not clean / rinse bio media when changing mechanical and chemical filters) , a carbon filter , then another 50 micron water polishing pad before the water reenters the tank. If you use more than the carbon(chemical) filter just remember this order : Water into filter > Mechanical , Biological , Carbon(chemical) >water into tank>
I hope this helped. FYI all 3 of our tanks are live plants , the only tank we have without live plants is our Quarantine / Nursing tank - which we only use Mechanical filtration because carbon/chemical filters remove medications.

Registered
3-gallon
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for that! The attached photos show what I have. Can you please recommend a better filtration system? I'd appreciate it so much!
Shoe Sleeve Wood Floor Rectangle
Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Linens

Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
Ah. I know that filter well. How long have you had it? How big is your tank?

Reactions: terricalgary
1 - 20 of 27 Posts