Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first 11 gallon tank last week and it has been cycling for 1 week now. I added Fluval water conditioner on Saturday and then the biological enhancer on Sat/Sun and Mon.

I’m going to be putting guppies in the tanks and today I tested the levels using the API master kit and would really appreciate some advice on how to lower the levels:

PH - 7.6
High PH - 8.4
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 40mm
Nitrite - 0.25

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Do you have fish in there currently? You mentioned guppies, and said going to - aka they not in there already - so you can just let it run... however if you have fush, daily large scale water changes would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have any fish in the tank at moment but intend to keep guppies when the tank is cycled.

Do you recommend just letting the tank keep cycling and checking it daily?

Thanks

Do you have fish in there currently? You mentioned guppies, and said going to - aka they not in there already - so you can just let it run... however if you have fush, daily large scale water changes would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I don’t have any fish in the tank at moment but intend to keep guppies when the tank is cycled.

Do you recommend just letting the tank keep cycling and checking it daily?

Thanks
Since there is no fish, continue to observe no need to waterchange... what are you using as a ammonia source in the meantime?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Kate you’re in good hands with Aussie.

Reactions: KateW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since there is no fish, continue to observe no need to waterchange... what are you using as a ammonia source in the meantime?

I’ve not got an ammonia source at the moment - do you recommend pure ammonia or fish food?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I’ve not got an ammonia source at the moment - do you recommend pure ammonia or fish food?

Thanks!
I'm a big pure ammonia fan - when you dont have cycled media avaliable. ;) you can dose higher quantities of ammonia and not worry about the debris caused buy broken down fish food.... less messy, plus you can save that food for the fish. :)

If its not planted, dose until its around 4 ppm and observe for the eventual nitrite and nitrates... and then once they established, continue to dose ammonia at 4ppm. Eventually, you tank's bacteria colony will be able to handle this - say in a 24 hour period - which you can preform a large waterchange before going out and buying all the fish you want - without overcrowding of course - and not worry about the nitrogen cycle.

(If it contains plants, i would suggest dosing around about 2-3ppm since some have had plants die from excess of ammomia which i would hate for similar happen without a prior warning of some sort... 2ppm will still get a pretty large bacterial colony going, which you can bump up to 4 once the nitrogen cycle starts kicking in. Of course, plants also help with cycling as well since they used nitrogen for growth and development.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts