Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If you need help from others on a specific thread, please post the link here.
Be sure to subscribe to THIS thread, so you will all be notified when a new post goes up!

. . . thank you for all your help in keeping our threads moving! *hugs*

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not sure if you guys have a thread for: "Quick, go help that member with..." but

Quick.... Can someone with Turtle experience go see if they can help this person? It's very unusual. Thanks!!

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/sick-turtle/what-heck-291753/
Sharon, I see that you've been helping on this thread, thank you!

In THIS situation, I would send a PM to Ronnie, as he is the one who I know to have the most knowledge in this group of turtles - and I don't seem to see him posting on this board very often. . . I'll send him one now, to make sure he sees it when he's online next.

I'm a notorious thread tosser, though! Now we have a whole subforum for this - which is awesome!
Just to update, I have just received a reply from Ronnie, and wanted to let you know that he will be looking into this thread for us! We are so lucky to have a member so knowledgeable about turtles on our team!

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention, Sharon! You're so on top of our turtle area - it is appreciated! *hugs*

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
Originally Posted by Hallyx
I've just never heard of finrot killing in a few days. Usually it has to get to the point of practically no fins before it gets deadly. So I'm told. I've never seen it other than in pictures.

Maybe the crystals caused pH shock and the blackened fins were just a coincidence?

The way I feel about fin rot is something has to have been pretty bad like ammonia or nitrite or whatever to get to that point. What you see there is just external. How are we to know the extent of the damage that it's already created internally. Unless you feel like doing a necropsy. The fins actually rotting aren't the cause of death, so it reaching the body also isn't what kills it..thats just one super resilient fish dealing with super bad conditions for a loong time. Fin rot isn't really a disease so much as a symptom of more then likely bacterial issues." ~~Marie

Later on the same day that I finally start to understand or agree, then comes this:
Both of my bettas have died, what's wrong?

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Hallyx
I've just never heard of finrot killing in a few days. Usually it has to get to the point of practically no fins before it gets deadly. So I'm told. I've never seen it other than in pictures.

Maybe the crystals caused pH shock and the blackened fins were just a coincidence?

The way I feel about fin rot is something has to have been pretty bad like ammonia or nitrite or whatever to get to that point. What you see there is just external. How are we to know the extent of the damage that it's already created internally. Unless you feel like doing a necropsy. The fins actually rotting aren't the cause of death, so it reaching the body also isn't what kills it..thats just one super resilient fish dealing with super bad conditions for a loong time. Fin rot isn't really a disease so much as a symptom of more then likely bacterial issues." ~~Marie

Later on the same day that I finally start to understand or agree, then comes this:
Both of my bettas have died, what's wrong?

I still feel the same. They said that the tests weren't as they should be but never mentioned the levels. A tank in the first days of cycling with a fish kept in an uncycled tank for a while..probably already suffered from that. Now a new fish from the store tossed into the brand newly cycling tank(not even 1 water change even after it killed the previous fish at that)..nothing good can come from that. Saying that..I stand by what I say.

and ruh-roh . this I just stumbled upon buy the same person who got these fish that dies from the same store..mayhap we have already sick fish put into even worse water once home?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=262242

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
Sorry, Marie. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

In any case, I don't know how to approach the thread in question. And I'm pretty good at sussing out what needs to be said. Just at a loss here. I guess I'll go somewhere else for help. Thanks, anyway.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
I think all that can be offered to him is a mini run down of cycling and actual readings that are safe . Reading through his posts it's a little erratic. . Breeding high quality bettas earlier this summer now two bettas die in his first filtered tank . With the admission he wasn't clear on cycling ( may still not totally be). A refresher on the cycle is all the help I think we can offer. Just worded without judgment because with the # of bettas he/she has or has gone through she/he may think he already knows everything now.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an FYI (though I'm not sure it'll be much help with this one) Meg - Sakura8 is really good with input on diseases and treatment. I know she won't mind if you PM her for thread help (do it all the time, lol). But yeah - this is just a hot mess :/ I don't know what to say, either. Except what Marie just did. . .

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Cory. . . *hugs*

I'm usually the sweet one around here, but I can't reply to this poster without losing my cool, either. . .

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
He doesn't want us to tell him that he's over stocking and yet he's wondering why his ammonia is 4-8ppm?

:/

I'm not sure replying to our dear Mr "I can throw my fish in the parking lot because I bought them with my money" is healthy :p

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/removed-my-ugf-all-my-rocks-293586/

Anyone care to help? I've been kinda, maybe, sorta warned off talking to this poster. Not ranting right now is somewhat of a moral victory. I hate being good!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not a good idea for *ME* to respond to him. I get all gushy when it comes to the fishy ones. :/
He can't afford new ones, so that's good, at least. MAN! SEE? I can't even talk ABOUT this guy without being rude!

As it does appear as if he is already receiving advice on another forum, I don't feel bad for saying that it's okay if we choose NOT to respond to this particular poster.

Is there anyway to speed up the cycling process ? - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

BUT if you think you can be sweet about it, go ahead! Just BE NICE!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
OK yes I know the guy is an ass and doesn't care about the fish but wants to keep them alive. May only be because he doesn't have the money to replace them. So this might be where yall can give him the "right" advice to manage it even if its for the wrong reason. Might be a bad situation you can at least get an OK result out of. I will respond the best I can but not sure I can help totally. Just something for y'all to think about.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
John, I was WISHING you were online last night! I missed you! *hugs*
You're ALWAYS so kind, and give such a balanced perspective when I get upset. I admire you, man.

You're right, as always! Please help him if you can. I'll see if I can write something up later, if you think you need me to back you up? I just will pretend I didn't notice who the poster was. . .and you're right - even if he's done horrible things in the past, we always should be willing to give anyone a second (third, fourth?!) chance to do it right. . .

Thanks again! And thanks, Marie - for trying. . . I'm not sure if it was a mean post, but it prolly wasn't very helpful! I'm not sure what to tell him if he doesn't want us to address stocking issues? that's the crux of his problem. . . ??! *baffled*

ETA: I tried my best, guys. And I think I was nice. But I really don't know what to tell him, except he's overstocked, water-changes, and duckweed >.<
I don't want to glomp the thread with reffies and mods, but do any of you, (or do you know any members) more familiar with bottled bacteria and/or fluorite substrates? Or can you think of any other input to give?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Sorry Jes but yesterday I had some issues I had to work through (still am but am better).

The overstocked tank is really the issue here but maybe we can get him to see it maybe not but not trying fixes/helps no one or the fish that are having to deal with a bad situation here. To me silence speaks volume to him about the forum he is asking help from. No answers or rude advice also speaks volume about the forum to others looking in especially when you carry a title. I can't sit back and not say anything not to see if I can possible help. If he choices not to listen at least my conscience is clear from it.

Thanks for replying to the thread Jes!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
and THAT is one of the many reasons why you're on this team, John! Thanks for setting me straight!

Thanks Marie for your post, too. I posted seeking clarification, lol.

I'm not very good at explaining how and why high ammonia levels interact with Kh to make cycles stall. . . anyone can help with that? *not calling names*

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I posted on that thread, and I'm worried I came across as supporting him or that he has no need to worry b/c it worked out fine with me (but I don't feel that way, he's still in the danger zone IMO).

Idk, I may take my post down. But everyone kept talking about how maybe the kit was bad or something and it bothered me. I dunno, I feel kind of torn up about it.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You guys remember the original Willy Wonka movie, right? The one where he pulled his name from? The juxtaposition there is mind-boggling, but EVERY TIME I see his name, AS ANGRY AS HE MAKES ME - I start SINGING!!!

>.<

I. . .I . . . JUST can't help it!!!

*throws down a lil' bit of sunshine and rainbows*

*dances*

Everyone feels better now, right?!!! ^__^

I think I should do a quick re-write on the lyrics to make it better apply. . . >.<

IF YOU CAN'T POST NICE, please just IGNORE him!
This guy is notorious for changing his story from post to post, doing foolish things a newbie knows not to, then asking for advice - only to turn around and throw his "YEARS OF EXPERIENCE" and "FINE FISH" in the faces of those who are trying to help him. Give your input, then walk away. Can't make this one see the light, I'm afraid.

P.S. Feel free to correct my pathetic attempt at chemistry. I tried to get back on-topic. Maybe I'll just confuse everyone and CM will vanish into the TFK sunset for a while! ^__^

1 - 20 of 402 Posts