Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Maybe a little more info regarding what you hope to accomplish with your tank and why you chose the fish you listed would allow others to give more suggestions.

If it is general community tank including gouramis that you want, there seems to be options other than Trichogaster trichopterus. After doing a little research (I haven't kept them personally), it looks like Pearl Gouramis would be a good choice to build your tank around. Others gouramis recommended for community tanks are Honey Gouramis and Thick-lipped Gouramis. Not sure if it is advisable to keep all together, but with a 60 gal aquarium, it may be possible. Maybe the others can chime in regarding stocking numbers and compatibility.

The Cherry Barbs seem like they would work, but maybe look a Harlequin rasboras as an alternative. Either way get more than 6, you have the space.

You listed Zebra danios in each of your stocking options, but as smallfry said, they aren't the best choice as gourami tankmates. If you liked them because of their elongated, stream-lined shape and horizontal stipes, maybe consider some of the other rasboras as an alternative. Red-tailed Rasbora/Brilliant Rasbora (Rasbora borapetensis) looks like a good option. Agian, a group of more than six should be kept (looks like 8-10 minimum is rcommended for this species).

·
Registered
510 Posts
The converstation had continued a little bit before I had posted my response, so it may have seemed a little out of place.

Just to be clear, my suggestions for rasboras was for tankmates with Pearls and other more peaceful gouramis and not Trichogaster trichopterus. Most everything I've read says that Trichogaster trichopterus just don't make good community fish.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't know you already had the three-spots/golds and thought this was a new set-up from scratch.

The problem I see is that you have two conflicting goals: one being keeping the Trichogaster trichopterus (three-spot, blue, gold, opaline - all the same species); the other being your desire to have a community tank. From what I can tell you can have one or the other, but not both. Mind you, this is based solely on what I've read and from what I've learned from others as I have not kept these fish, and I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. I'll let others share their experiences and recommend fish to add to your Trichogaster trichopterus if you are set on keeping them.

I personally wouldn't risk it. Nothing can turn what should be a fun and relaxing hobby into frustration more than having a tankfull of unhealthy fish beating each other up.

Again, sorry for muddying the water, hopfully others with more experience with these fish will chime in.

1 - 3 of 17 Posts