Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
To smallfry's suggestions, I would just add a caution on the Black Skirt Tetra [we used the common name Black Widow Tetra for our profile, so you can click that for info] as these are frequently very nippy with sedate fish. I would not mix them with gourami (or angels, etc).

Byron.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I agree with what has been posted about gourami. One has to be very careful combining species, just as with cichlids. In both cases, males are very territorial and thus aggressive, and this can vary a bit from fish to fish but the inherent trait is there so it should be considered.

In your case, with 1 male and 2 female, you are probably OK with the trio. But I would not add other gourami to the tank, so in my view no pearls with this trio.

So, with the trio of Trichopodus trichopterus [Blue, Gold, Opaline, 3 spot, whatever you may call it] some suitable tankmates would be rasbora (the medium/larger species like Trigonostigma species], small/medium peaceful barbs like Calmwaters mentioned [Black Ruby is a beauty], medium peaceful characins (some are fin nippers when mixed with gourami, so watch this, it is mentioned in our profiles if it is applicable to that species]. Any of these should be in groups, and in a 60g I would go with groups of 7 minimum, 8-9 better. Depends upon the species. Barb at 7-8 is sufficient, rasbora can have more (9-11), some characins similar. These numbers take into account behaviours and activity; more sedate rasbora and similar characins fare better in larger groups than more active barb given the space.

Byron.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.