Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a 55 gal tank with 2 comets and 1 tetra.

Yesterday we were out cruising around and decided to stop by our local pet store to look around. We ended up buying 1 lion head and 1 fancy goldfish. (We asked if they could be put in the tank with the other fish and they said yes)

We introduced the fish to the new tank slowly by allowing the fish bags to sit in the water for about 10-15 minutes. Ever since we took the fish out of the bags and put them into the water, all the other fish has been acting like they are sick. (clamped fins, laying on the bottom) We did not pour the water from the pet store in with our water.

We do regular water changes and just checked our pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate yesterday before leaving the house. All the results were good. We checked again last night before bed and again the results were good.

After noticing the fish acting strange yesterday, we did around a 60% water change. This morning when we got out of bed, our fish were once again all on the bottom with clamped fins. Our lion head was stuck on the side of the filter. I thought he was dead so I pulled out the net and after pushing him off the filter, he took off swimming. His body kinda curves around the tail end now. He goes back and forth between flipping upside down and just floating around and trying to swim a little bit. I turned off one of our filter because he keeps getting stuck on it.

We treated the water with Paraguard already today and my husband went out and bought some Melafix. If the Paraguard don't work, we are going to try the Melafix tomorrow after another water change.

The other fish have seemed to perk up a little after using the Paraguard but the lion head is still having trouble. Is there anything else I can do to help save him? or any advice to help our fish heal up faster? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
i do not like using melafix as it coats the gills thus causing the fish even more stress coz it has a harder time breathing. your large water change must have removed a lot of the bad stuff that were causing your fish to get sick and almost killing them over night. keep the water change up and watch if the lion head's condition improves. clean out the filter as well just in case. probably having a bag of activated carbon in the filter for the mean time will remove anything toxic in the water

1 - 2 of 2 Posts