Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have an extra 10 gallon fish tank laying around and I was considering turning it into a planted shrimp tank.

I have no idea what I'm doing as far as plants as I've never attempted a planted tank before but I had an idea where one side would be a bamboo forest and the other side of the tank would be like a grassy meadow. Which mosses or other plants would you think be the most appropriate for this? What kind of substrate should I look for?

Also, does anyone know if blue lobsters are compatible with any kind of shrimp?

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you tell us about your lighting and water, we can help you with plants. We'll need to know how many K's the light is (e.g. 6500K), what length the bulb is, and how many watts. Often it gives some or all of these numbers on the bulbs. What temp, pH, and hardness is your water?

So called "bamboo" or "lucky bamboo" is not a fully aquatic plant and will slowly die if completely submerged. So you'll need either an open top aquarium with suspended lighting so that all of the leaves can be above the water line, or to pick something else. The latter is probably best, as I don't think shrimp would much enjoy bamboo, since it provides no real coverage/hiding and limited surface area.

As far as substrates, there are many that are specifically for plants. These are only helpful if you have plants that are heavy root feeders. Many here would say that the plant substrates are about useless, and much prefer adding liquid fertilizers into the water and root tabs near plants that are heavy root feeders.

I don't have 'lobsters' or crayfish or crawdads or whatever you want to call them, but I know that they are very predatory and would def kill off your shrimps. They also eat plants like crazy. Having crayfish in a planted shrimp tank is a recipe for disaster!

Yeah, so get back to us on your lighting and water, and we can go from there!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get started on buying the lighting and so-forth and get back to you, thank you for the advice about the blue lobsters and bamboo as well!

·
Registered
487 Posts
You may want to post here the lighting that you're thinking of buying, and we can help you see if its appropriate for want you want to do. For example, some lighting is so intense that the only way to avoid an algae farm is to add CO2 injection and dose dry fertilizers. That can get complicated and expensive and high maintenance. And some lighting is so weak that you'd only be able to grow a very few types of plants. So maybe it would be wise to post your lighting candidates here, and we can help you out?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have several planted tanks that are jungles. All I use is cheap Black sand about an inch deep. My 10g had an old stainless aquarium light with 2 10watt? (the 40w equivalent) 65 K CF bulbs. I had Java Fern, Java Moss, Subwassertang, wisteria, Anubias, Najias, etc and all did well. They started a little slow till the tank matured and nitrate stabilized then everything seemed to flourish and the shrimp love it. I agree that the lobsters and crays are a bad idea. My shrimp only held their own with guppies and mollies. It wasn't till I removed all fish that I started to see babies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts