Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I would add a full large bottle of Tetra Safe Start to the 75. It's actually a good product but I have found overdosing is necessary. I add a whole small bottle to 10g tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that's a good idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Feeling stupid today..... while testing my water in the angel tank, I realized I missed a part of the directions for the nitrate test (didn't shake the 2nd bottle.... oops!) So.... angel tank is reading

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

The angels are hanging at the bottom of the tank. When I turned the light on, they did move around some. Should I be concerned? Should I start changing their tank water also?

In the 75g, still doing daily 50% water changes, and ammonia is still high, nitrite is still 0. Really hoping I see some nitrites soon!

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
To answer your twice-asked question. Stresscoat and AmmoLock both treat ammonia the same way as does Prime. It locks it up so it's not dangerous to your stock and releases it slowly over a day or so. Use one or the other. I would double dose with water changes and dose a half-dose daily until the cycle is complete. Prime is more often used because, being concentrated, it's less expensive per dose.

As Jaycee suggests, be more concerned for your fish and less for the cycle. Please, change as much water as needed, as often as required, to keep ammonia and/or nitrite below 1.0ppm. That's still high, but you're using an ammonia-locker, so your fish are protected.

All above applies to the 30g, as well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Feeling stupid today..... while testing my water in the angel tank, I realized I missed a part of the directions for the nitrate test (didn't shake the 2nd bottle.... oops!) So.... angel tank is reading

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

The angels are hanging at the bottom of the tank. When I turned the light on, they did move around some. Should I be concerned? Should I start changing their tank water also?

In the 75g, still doing daily 50% water changes, and ammonia is still high, nitrite is still 0. Really hoping I see some nitrites soon!
yes,change the tank water.keep the nitrates under 20ppm.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.