Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 75g aquarium as a birthday present from my fiance. I've had a few fish before, but this was way beyond my experience level. It's filtered with a Penn-Plax Cascade 1500.

I started the aquarium with Quick Start at the advice of the Petsmart associate (I know...), and we went to the fish store and stocked it with the following:

6 large angelfish
6 zebra danios
6 cory cats
8 platies
2 gouramis
1 rainbow shark
and 1 bristlenosed pleco

All was fine for about a week, then I noticed the water was getting cloudy and the fish were hanging out at the bottom of the tank. I'm sure I don't have to tell you all how much I've done incorrectly to this point, so when I tested the water, the ammonia was high- about 4ppm. This was almost a week ago. I've been changing about 30% of the water every other day, but the ammonia continues to rise. It hit 8ppm overnight and I had my first casualty, one of the angelfish. The water is constantly cloudy. Since the ammonia spike, I've purchased Ammo-Lock and also Zeolite filter media to try to combat the ammonia.

I need serious advice about how much water I should/could be changing, and how often? Is there anything else I can do to get the situation under control? The other angelfish are looking a little lethargic and unstable.

I also have my previous tank (30) which has been up and running with no fish for 2 weeks since I moved it's inhabitants into the new tank). Should I move some of the fish into the smaller tank??

I'm already quite attached to these fish and hate seeing them suffer.
Hope this doesn't turn into a very sad and expensive lesson.

I should also note that tonight I did a 50% water change, but my ammonia level is still 4ppm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply :)

I'm testing with an API freshwater kit.

I've temporarily moved the 5 remaining angels into the 30g tank. They are a little cramped, I'm sure, but they're looking much better. I will keep a close eye on that tank to make sure the levels don't spike with the new fish.

The water in the 75g was less cloudy than I expected this morning. Not sure if the reduction of fish helped slow the buildup or what. 80% water change? Do I take the fish out for that? Or should I leave them in?

Also, I don't have Prime, and haven't been able to find it locally, so I will order some. I do have API Stress Coat Plus and Ammo-Lock. I usually treat the water with Stress Coat when I do a water change. Will either/both of these products work until I can get the Prime delivered?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 30g is established. It had fish in it for about 2 years. I moved the fish from it into the new tank, but left the 30g intact and running. It's been fishless for about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moved some plants into the new tank when I set it up.

Moved the angels into the 30 because they looked the worst. The others don't seem nearly as lethargic or unbalanced as the angels were looking, so I moved them.

30g tank tests:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 0

Will keep a very close eye on the angels/water condition. I can rearrange fish once the ammonia level comes down in the big tank.

Learning as I go here, so I appreciate your help! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I did about a 70% water change tonight. Did a 50% last night.

Tank water is clearer than it's been in almost a week. Fish are moving around more than before. Ammonia is down to 2ppm (from 4). Nitrite and Nitrate are still 0. Seems like I'm finally on the right road to recovery.

Haven't been feeding them. Is it ok to feed them a little, or will I send my ammonia soaring again?

Also, the angel tank is still testing 0 Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate for now. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the angel tank has an ammonia spike, should I move the angels back into the 75g or try to ride out the cycle? The fish in both tanks are looking MUCH better.

Don't have Prime. I ordered some yesterday, so it should be here Tuesday. I do have API Ammo-Lock, will that work for now?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did another 50% water change tonight in the 75g. Ammonia is at 2ppm, nitrite still at 0.
How often and how big of water changes should I be doing?

How long before I should expect nitrites to start showing up? Tank has had fish in it for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Feeling stupid today..... while testing my water in the angel tank, I realized I missed a part of the directions for the nitrate test (didn't shake the 2nd bottle.... oops!) So.... angel tank is reading

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

The angels are hanging at the bottom of the tank. When I turned the light on, they did move around some. Should I be concerned? Should I start changing their tank water also?

In the 75g, still doing daily 50% water changes, and ammonia is still high, nitrite is still 0. Really hoping I see some nitrites soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.