Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, me and my wife are new fish keepers. We have done as much research as possible and have tried to follow all the advice given at Big Al's. I have 2 clownfish, a few hermit crabs, an emerald crab and a couple of snails. I waited 8 weeks to add the fish, and they have been very happy for over a month now. I decided to clean the filter and I now realized I have basically killed the biological filter. I don't want the fish to suffer, I can't lower the nitrite even after multiple water changes, what should I do? Thanks, we are a bit panicked and the store is closed

Al

·
Registered
12 Posts
I never used to work with Marine or reef tanks with saltwater but i think like the freshwater tanks there is a conditioner or any chemical product that can lower the nitrite and lower the ammonia immediately i don't know for sure if the same products as the freshwater (Seachem Prime) or anything else and you can add beneficial bacteria to the water too like the" API Quick start"product ! i don't know maybe someone professional in saltwater can correct me !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never used to work with Marine or reef tanks with saltwater but i think like the freshwater tanks there is a conditioner or any chemical product that can lower the nitrite and lower the ammonia immediately i don't know for sure if the same products as the freshwater (Seachem Prime) or anything else and you can add beneficial bacteria to the water too like the" API Quick start"product ! i don't know maybe someone professional in saltwater can correct me !
Thanks so much for the advice, I will follow it immediately!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there, me and my wife are new fish keepers. We have done as much research as possible and have tried to follow all the advice given at Big Al's. I have 2 clownfish, a few hermit crabs, an emerald crab and a couple of snails. I waited 8 weeks to add the fish, and they have been very happy for over a month now. I decided to clean the filter and I now realized I have basically killed the biological filter. I don't want the fish to suffer, I can't lower the nitrite even after multiple water changes, what should I do? Thanks, we are a bit panicked and the store is closed

Al
maybe your water source has high nitrite?
how did you kill your biological filter?
the bio is everywhere, in your filter, on the glass , ornaments, etc.
Give it time

·
Registered
11 Posts
I washed the filter, and all ornaments in tap water like an idiot, rookie mistake.
tank size?

well. Stores are closed, so you have to hope for the best.
Unless your tap water is high in nitrate… you did what you could, (assuming you used a declorinator)
Chlorine will evaporate (gas off) if let stand in an open top bucket, so you can store water ahead for water changes.

I have cycled a tank with fish, and they survived. Just do small water changes daily.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Al
Unfortunately cleaning the filter as well as the decorations caused what's called new tank syndrome. Their are beneficial bacteria that you can buy to help your tank cycle. The Fritz company has a great product that I used. Just can't remember the name exactly. If you Google Fritz.com you should find their products as well as Amazon. They sell it. In the future never wash the filter just take a cleaning tool to the propeller and tube when needed but only do it in a little tank water that you remove from your tank. Using tap water can be very harmful. You can also use Fritz Complete to help your tank until it cycles again and with every water change. I'm no affiliate of the company. Just swear by their products. I wish you the best with your tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts