Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 20 gallon long with a yellow tang, 5 or 6 hermits, 1 emerald crab, 1 peppermint shrimp, 15 lbs. of live rock

my 55 gallon is freshwater with 2 powder blue dwarf gouramis, 2 blue gouramis, 2 albino bichers?, 2 plecos, 1 clown loach, 1 upside-down catfish

would it be okay to temporarily put contents of 55 gallon in 10 gallon?i then i could begin setting up 55 gallon for saltwater. if i add crushed coral and liverock from existing saltwater tank would i still have to wait for tank to cycle? on 55 gallon the only filtration i have is a whisper 30-60 gallon.i have 1 power head in 20 gallon right now. will filter in 55 be large enough for 20 gallon inhabitants for now? will power head suffice for now? i will eventually get a better filter, more crushed coral, another powerhead or 2, and better lighting(1 48" T12 florescent is all i have now) for corals and such.

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the fw fish would only be in the 10 until i can clear out the 20 and then i would split the fw up between the 10 and 20.

i had trouble when i first got the crushed coral. it clouded up my water and didnt settle for 3 days. on the fourth day i removed it and bought a spagetti strainer and rinsed about 1 lb at a time. i put it back in the tank, it clouded for one day then cleared up and has been ever since. i have an emerald crab and he diggs in it all the time and i never noticed any cloudiness.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
trreherd said:
Most everyone here will say that crushed coral clouds water, Does it cloud your water? I would like to see someone who has had succese with it, because it not bad lookin.

If the crushed coral is distrubed it will release a cloud of dust. No matter how well you rinse it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think the crushed coral is neet becuase it looks natural and you can gravel vac it so it dont trap nitrates. Is it posible to gravel vac sand? i heard if you put a valve on the end of the vac to slow the flow than you can vac it without sucking it out.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
trreherd said:
Do you have to gravel vac sand?
I never once gravel vaced my sand, or known anyone to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.