Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know what to do about my levels
My ph is at 6.4
Ammo is so high at 8( been this high for months with no deaths or signs of bad health )
Nitrite 5.0
And nitrate is 5-10
What is the best approach to fix my levels
There was 2 big gold fish in there, they were feeders but my Oscar never ate them but they got huge so I recently got rid of them
Thanks in advance for any info

Also have a bubble strip along the back wall , a few places for the fish to hide , fake plants and its a bare bottom tank

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think it was the goldfish that did it. Either that or their are multiple reasons why your parameters are bad(overfeeding, over stock, not changing media,etc.)+

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Water changes, lots of them, every day until the levels lower. Look at adding a few live plants if your lighting can sustain them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it was the goldfish that did it. Either that or their are multiple reasons why your parameters are bad(overfeeding, over stock, not changing media,etc.)+

Yea I was reading how dirty gold fish are, that's why I wanted to get rid of them

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water changes, lots of them, every day until the levels lower. Look at adding a few live plants if your lighting can sustain them.

Do you know of any plants that would be ok in a bare bottom tank ?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Floating plants like amazon frogbit and water lettuce. You can also float stem plants like anacharis.

What test kit are you using?

The reason the ammonia isn't killing the fish is because you have such a low ph, that turns the ammonia into ammonium, which isn't as dangerous.

However the nitrite at that level should be severely affecting your fish, but perhaps the low ph plays a roll in that also, I have no idea.

What is your water change and cleaning schedule/procedure?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Floating plants like amazon frogbit and water lettuce. You can also float stem plants like anacharis.

What test kit are you using?

The reason the ammonia isn't killing the fish is because you have such a low ph, that turns the ammonia into ammonium, which isn't as dangerous.

However the nitrite at that level should be severely affecting your fish, but perhaps the low ph plays a roll in that also, I have no idea.

What is your water change and cleaning schedule/procedure?

I'm using the API fresh water master kit ,and I change about 15% of water every 2 weeks...
Thanks for the advice on the plants

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looking at your stocking levels, and your tank size, I would recommend that you start water changes weekly. You should be changing 35% of your water if you are not doing plants in this aquarium. You have a high stock level, and these fish will keep the water dirty if you are feeding heavy. Also the gar may try to eat the others in the tank when it gets large enough. Just a thought there!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea the gar is leaving soon I'm just holding him for a friend who's setting up a pond for it , and I'm going to put plants in this weekend. But you think its heavily stocked even now while all the fish are small , one of my filters are rated for 75 gallons and the other is rated for 50. I only feed what they eat in 2 mins and once a week I'll throw in a few feeders but mainly they eat pellets or blood worms
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
are you using chemicals like Prime or other ammonia locks or dechlorinators.

plants will raise pH and consume ammonia.

ammonia locks do lock the ammonia but normal test kits still test positive for ammonia.

And they also lock up oxygen which can also lower pH.

So IMHO stop using any chemicals and add live plants.

my .02

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I agree with freshcatch. With such large fish in that tank, producing large amounts of waste, you really should be doing 35% water changes minimum, if not 50%, every week. With ammonia built up so high it's possible it's killed all the beneficial bacteria.

If you use an aquarium water changer that connects to the sink water changes are much quicker and easier, if you're still using the bucket method. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No the only chemical I ever use is API stress coat + when i change water. And I'm going to look in to that water changer ...didn't know that exist haha , thanks for the advice everyone !
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you done a test on the water going into the tank, I know that could be adding to the problem. I myself have a goldfish tank(6 goldfish and a pleco) 55 gallons and only do 20%water changes every week and never had a problem with my levels, even though they are supposed to be dirty fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I was collecting water comming out of the filter
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 16 of 16 Posts