Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my Sterbai Cory has started looking very sick missing part of dorsal fin, he is swimming way slower than usual, his left gill is infected i think and his pectoral fin on that side has white stuff growing on it i think, his dorsal fin looks a little white on top too. I had 2 Sterbai Cories but the first died the day after i got it, not sure why looked completely healthy. There's a bulldog pleco and senegal bichir in the tank with him. His stomach also looks very pink. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your fish. I don't know an awful lot about these particular fish but I will do all I can to help.
Unfortunately I can't really help because I don't really know any details about your tank set up, how long you have had these fish, temperature in your tank, any changes you made recently that could have affected this... All information you know about the tank could be relevant. Pictures would help too. The more information we know the more we can help you.
Thanks, Kieran

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
look at my aquarium info for layout of tank, i change 15% of water once a week, (just use filtered tap water with stress coat), feed my fish bloodworms, never see them eat though, theres old blood worms floating around sometimes, had senegal bichir for 3 or 4 weeks, and bulldog pleco and the 2 cories since last week, haven't change the filter cartridge yet, tank water smells sort of bad, put in a mini reef ball before the second cory died, the reef ball let out tons of tiny streams of bubbles for an hour after i put it in. the first cory looked completely healthy when it died, the second had some sort of fungus thing, was gunna go get some stuff for that tomorrow. dont know tank ph bichir and pleco look healthy, when the cory looked sick it was swimming very slow and one fin looked really screwed up and dorsal was missing a quarter cm

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
To be honest I am not sure as to what killed your fish. Maybe others have encountered such a disease before, but I certainly haven't. I wouldn't worry about the reef ball. As long as you got it from an aquarium shop it should be fine and even if your didn't it probably wasn't the problem.
It's possible the ammonia in the tank has reached bad levels... The tank smelling bad is usually a sign of that, but maybe not. If I were you I would test the water. There's a chance your local aquarium shop will do it for you, maybe even for free. The old bloodworms that weren't eaten would release bad chemicals into the water as they disintegrate. I would say the most likely problem is the water quality.
Maybe your other fish attacked your cory? I have never kept a Senegal bichir before but maybe it was the culprit?
There are loads of possibility as to how they died but I would say the most reasonable course of action would be to test the water. Maybe it was just you got sick fish from your shop. If your other fish are looking healthy maybe it was just bad fish you got.
Also don't take anything I said as an experts opinion. This is just an amateurs guess at what could be wrong.
Hope I helped some way,
Kieran

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh and maybe you should vary their diet. Bloodworms probably don't have all the things that a healthy fish needs. A good flake food along with the bloodworms might go a long way to helping keeping good fish. I also heard Senegal bichirs like worms but I don't think I would risk giving them any. I doubt diet was the problem either though.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Please fill this out to help us help you;

1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts